Rendering / Pebbledashing / Tyrolean information required!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Please be gentle with me, as this is my first post - so hello to everyone out there.

I have an ex-council property, which was peddledashed years back. It's all secure, and doesn't appear to have blown anywhere. It's been painted a couple of times over the years, and it looks "ok".

My issue is that when replacement windows were fitted, and when carports etc have been put up and removed over the years, the repairs are quite obvious - and the finish is now a sort of patchwork quilt of different textures, levels, and obvious repairs! We're hoping to sell soon, and it will probably put people off.

Removing the whole lot and starting again is a major job - I had one quick quote at £4k which is out of my budget. I'm handy with plastering - but this of course is something totally different.

Questions:

1) is it possible to render over the top of this old painted pebbledashed surface - and will it stick ok if a suitable glue (SBR perhaps) is used? I assume this is NOT a good idea?

2) "Tyrolean" I think it's called. I seem to recall a company who used to go to your house and spray a thick paint, containing grit and pebbles onto your wall - thus covering up any imperfections underneath (or maybe it was a fine render mix - I'm not sure!). Although I can't seem to find any information about this anymore! Perhaps it's a dying trade. I've looked on Ebay and they do a tyrolean "gun" which is just basically a pebble flicker - not the sort of spray gun I was looking at. Perhaps a compressor and a spray gun strong enough to spray this stuff is what I need?
Looking closely at my render, it's not pebbles I don;t think - so it's probably tyrolean.

3) Can you buy a suitable paint, containing pebbles (not sand!) as the sandtex stuff is good - but a recent coat didn't really do much to hide the previous repairs.

4) What I really need is someone who has this spraying tackle, and will price me up in Chesterfield for a new coat of tyrolean :)

We're based in *Chesterfield* (if you missed the bit above) if anyone could recommend any help for us.

Thankyou very much for reading.

James

Sponsored Links
The only finish I'd consider is something like K rend.

Do it yourself too.

You can render over the old if it is sound, whether this is krend or sand and cement depends on what finish you like. An SBR slurry or proprietry bonding coat such as Rendaid or HPX will work without any problem.

Tyrolene will cover the surface but will show up any irregularities it goes on to.

There are other companies that spray a heavier textured finish on to anything you want - but again, if you want an even finsih you need an even surface for it to go on to. Adn we had some around our way charging extortionate rates.

Whatver you do make sure you see their work - and as it is external then there should be no problem whatsoever

You can render over the old if it is sound, whether this is krend or sand and cement depends on what finish you like. An SBR slurry or proprietry bonding coat such as Rendaid or HPX will work without any problem.

Thanks guys - Although I've got allsorts of folk saying you can't go over the top of old render / tyrolean, or it'll come off! I understand where they're coming from, as the surface is painted with masonry paint - so the new render or finish will only have masonry paint to stick to. If I used a bonding agent (SBR?) over the paint - would thast be enough to provide a good surface to stick to - or is this worse?!

I'd love to find a company to spray something thick over my existing walls - I assume it;s going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than hacking the whole lot off and starting again.....

I'm not familliar with the "krend", rendaid etc that you guys suggested - although I assume these are simple bags that you can buy, where it's all mixed up and ready to go (just add water, etc?)....

Many thanks.

James

Sponsored Links
If it was a flat surface I would agree that stickong to paint is risky.However a rough surface such at tyrolean or dashing provides a physical key by itself, as well as your chemical key provided by the bonding agent.

If you see Bondit, a bondng agent, the physical key is provided by particles just the size of grains of sand :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back