Please help! Not the usual "noisy pipes" problem..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am throwing myself at your mercy and great wisdom, as if I'm unable to fix this problem, we are going to have to move house.

We live in a ex-authority ground floor maisonette (i.e., we occupy the ground and first floor, with an identical maisonette above us on the 2nd and 3rd floors). The property is roomy and solid, but it has a major flaw, the gas and water pipes for the maisonette above run through our place. Gas is not a problem, but the water is Really Noisy.

Whenever the people upstairs open up their taps, or flush the toilet, there is very loud 'whooshing' sound that is audible from all around our house. When taps are opened full this turns into a screaming sound, then as the taps go off, there is a bumping, rattling noise (possibly from their ancient back boiler). A bit of noise we can put up with, but this is so loud it is hard to talk over it, and without fail it wakes us up. The problem is compounded by the fact that our neighbours are shift-workers, and so need to be using their water at all hours.

The neighbours above have only recently moved in, and the property is in a poor state of repair. Could it be that all of the taps need repair/replacing? Is it possible dodgy washers are causing this noise? Is it ever possible to silence water running through pipes? Where the pipe runs through our bedroom, I've boxed it in, with soundproofing foam, but it makes no difference at all.

I can only think of two things that I can do:

1) Plead with my neighbours (or offer to do it myself) to investigate all their taps and replace where necessary.

2) Replace the copper pipe that runs through my property with a section of plastic. Am I mistaken in thinking that instead of the metal pipe to transmit the sound, the plastic would insulate better against the noise?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as we can't take it much more...

Cheers!

For what it's worth, here's a drawing of the layout:

watermain.gif

Sponsored Links
Get a pressure reducing valve fitted to the incoming main.

Depending on the flow rate,
2 bar is normally adequate
(You can get one with a gauge fitted on it).

You really need to deternine if the noise is produced by the pipework in your part or in their flat.

Replacing with larger pipe through your flat may help as would using blue poly pipe.

Tony

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Agile: Sorry for the dumb question, but how might I determine where the noise is being produced? The pipe going through my place is 22mm copper. Does water simply running through a pipe make a noise? I assumed it was more likely a noise from a tap etc resonating back through the water/copper. However, I can see that replacing it with blue poly pipe would help. Again a dumb question, but is it straight forward to connect the 22mm copper (which just comes up out of the concrete) into poly pipe?

Baxpoti: Where would this be fitted, as their copper mains pipe comes up through my floor? Or at the water meter (which is accessed outside, through small access cover on the ground)? Is this something I would need to ask the water board to do?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Is the (their) stop cock in your kitchen fully open or only partially open. Partially open stop cocks can be noisy (as the water rushes through the restriction).

Where you show the draw off cock. Is that just a draw off cock or is there a stopvalve incorporated?
Nice drawing BTW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back