PLEASE HELP! OIL FIRED HEATING GONE MAD!

Spraggo is spot on, god only knows why the plumber you got out couldn't suss that in about 5 seconds flat, don't use him again! If you remove the large chrome slotted screw/vent plug from the rear of the pump (there will be a trickle of water, get a bowl or some rags) and put a straight screwdriver in the hole, it will rattle when it touches the shaft of the pump, if it is rotating. If the pump is not rotating (which is my guess) then try to find the slot in the end of the shaft and turn the shaft with a screwdriver. The slot is sometimes not very well formed, but it is possible, use a torch and try to find a screwdriver that fits well and is the same length as the slot. push the shaft in and let it spring back out a couple of times, and then get it turning freely. Switch the pump back on, and check it revolves (turn the speed to max for an hour or so) and all should be well. Refitt the screwed plug,The other possibility is that the boiler or the main circulators are sludged up, and this sludge is preventing circulation and thus the boiler is cutting out on the boilet thermostat. How long since installed/flushed? if its an old system this is a possibility. Is there a drain off at the bottom of the boiler, or on the return near the boiler, if so you could try draining some water out of there to see if there is sludge.......BUT BEWARE!!! the washer on the drain off tap will probably break up and leave you having to drain right down to replace it, so dont try this unless absolutely neccasary AND you have a spare washer!

Thanks so much for all the help guys...really appreciated :) would definitely try your remedy, but simply cannot get to the back of the damn pump...it has been built (along with the boiler) into a rather tight spot in a brick shed and is pretty tight up against a wall so I can't access the back of it...maybe this is why the plumber said he didn't know what was wrong...because it was going to take an age to access the rear of the pump? Plus....if on the odd chance I develop triple jointed limbs and manage to get to the back of the pump...should i turn off the central heating system at the wall swtich in the house or do i need to do something more drastic with the electrics & water supply & oil? (just checking to make sure I survive till new year ;)

Sponsored Links
You ought to check that there is water in the system!! go into the loft and check that the ball valve on the F/E tank is not stuck and there is water covering the outlet

all checked...yes water in tank and ball valve not stuck :)

hi!
thank you for your response :)
Motorised valve, heating circuit, swarf? It's all chinese to me I'm afraid....being a woman and all that! ;)
Great effort lads but given this statement, I think your wasting your time; but who knows the OP may get lucky ;)

Please no! You are not wasting your time...I AM learning...on a need to know basis, plumbing and heating are really my forte! Maybe I should have pretended I was a man :(

[quote="jacquioh";p="1841437 :eek: Please no! You are not wasting your time...I AM learning...on a need to know basis, plumbing and heating are really my forte! Maybe I should have pretended I was a man :([/quote]

Is the pump and boiler situated where it could freeze? if so I would tend to keep the boiler running to save any damage and stop the oil line from freezing. I am wondering now if in fact the cause of your problem is partial freezing of the pipes?

Sponsored Links
[quote="jacquioh";p="1841437 :eek: Please no! You are not wasting your time...I AM learning...on a need to know basis, plumbing and heating are really my forte! Maybe I should have pretended I was a man :(

Is the pump and boiler situated where it could freeze? if so I would tend to keep the boiler running to save any damage and stop the oil line from freezing. I am wondering now if in fact the cause of your problem is partial freezing of the pipes?[/quote]

the boiler has a "frost protect" on it and it is left on all the time (I use the thermostat to regulate temperature, but never turn the boiler off) so I don't think it could freeze? also the temp here in north norfolk is above freezing...a mere +2!

Please no! You are not wasting your time...I AM learning...on a need to know basis, plumbing and heating are really my forte! Maybe I should have pretended I was a man :(
My apologies for maybe underestimating you as you seem to be doing OK ;) . No you should never pretend to be a man, why on earth would you do that; it's completely irelavent what gender you are! But, equally, don’t come out with statements about being “only a woman” to justify a lack of knowledge or ask questions where you need help, it's why this forum exists! For me at least it's a complete turn off, irrelevant & derogatory to the capabilities of your gender as a few female contributors on here regularly demonstrate.

Your getting lots of good stuff from the gallant males so good luck with it anyway. ;)

My apologies for maybe underestimating you as you seem to be doing OK ;) . No you should never pretend to be a man, why on earth would you do that; it's completely irelavent what gender you are! But, equally, don’t come out with statements about being “only a woman” to justify a lack of knowledge or ask questions where you need help, it's why this forum exists! For me at least it's a complete turn off, irrelevant & derogatory to the capabilities of your gender as a few female contributors on here regularly demonstrate.

Your getting lots of good stuff from the gallant males so good luck with it anyway. ;)

Thank you all for your help, but it you are right, it will require a professional. I was, of course, trying to rememdy the situation myself as there is no chance of getting anyone to sort this out before the new year...thankfully we do have a wood burner in one room so we won't freeze to death so long as we all huddle in the same room :)
Wishing you all a super christmas and long may you help the needy! :)
Jacqui
x

[Thank you all for your help, but it you are right, it will require a professional. Jacqui
x

I have been giving your problem some more thought. You mentioned that you use the boiler stat to turn the heating up or down, not a very good idea, and I was wondering if the boiler stat has gone out of calibration and in fact the frost stat is controlling your boiler. This would explain the reason that the boiler goes on and of due to the temp rise and fall in the boiler house, is the frost stat on the wall or clipped to the pipes? does the pump keep running after the boiler stops. Try turning the boiler and the frost stat to maximum and see what happens.

[Thank you all for your help, but it you are right, it will require a professional. Jacqui
x

I have been giving your problem some more thought. You mentioned that you use the boiler stat to turn the heating up or down, not a very good idea, and I was wondering if the boiler stat has gone out of calibration and in fact the frost stat is controlling your boiler. This would explain the reason that the boiler goes on and of due to the temp rise and fall in the boiler house, is the frost stat on the wall or clipped to the pipes? does the pump keep running after the boiler stops. Try turning the boiler and the frost stat to maximum and see what happens.

Hi Spraggo!
Many thanks for your help and replies :) no, I do not use the boiler stat to control the heat, I leave the heating on permantently and use the room thermostat to control the heating...so I guess that is not the problem?
Jacqui

Sorry my misunderstanding, but could you answer my other questions and carry out the experiments as suggested so that I can try and solve your problem?.

Sorry my misunderstanding, but could you answer my other questions and carry out the experiments as suggested so that I can try and solve your problem?.

hi spraggo,
I cannot access the rear of the pump as previously suggested, due to the location of the pump.
the system is a "closed" system as far as i know...there is a header tank in the loft which is full and the ball cock is not stuck.
The heating this end of the house is different in that when I turn up the thermostat it can take up to 5 mins for the boiler to fire and the same for it to turn off when i turn down the termostat....but I think it has always been this way...though cannot be sure! The other end of the house (which has a seperate heating system) turns on and off instantly the thermostat is altered. Does this help?
jacqui

Have a look at the FAQ's on here, 9, 14 and 20 have photo's of a pump. Is this the view you can see of your pump?

Always worth a try, tap the pump smartly with a hammer a few times. May not help, but you wont do any harm trying.

[quote="jacquioh";p="1841721

is the frost stat on the wall or clipped to the pipes? does the pump keep running after the boiler stops. Try turning the boiler and the frost stat to maximum and see what happens.[/quote]

it's completely irelavent what gender you are!

No its completely relevant.
There are some jobs that are just better suited to men (plumbing is one of them), and some better suited to women.
And the number of men involved in plumbing is testament to that fact.

it's completely irelavent what gender you are!

No its completely relevant.
There are some jobs that are just better suited to men (plumbing is one of them), and some better suited to women.
And the number of men involved in plumbing is testament to that fact.

Hi Everyone!
Just thought I'd post an update to let you know the heating engineer came and it was the pump. It was blocked with gunge....he replaced it...and now the house is like a sauna...bliss!
Thank you all so much for your help, really appreciated.
Wishing you all a superb 2011!
Jacqui
x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back