some warm rads, mostly cold!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
I'm tearing my hair out with my oil fired heating system!
Worked fine till this week when it has been very very cold outside. The boiler is only coming on for about 5 minutes so only the rads nearest to it are getting warm before the boiler shuts down again...Grrrrr
Could it be a problem with the thermostat which is in the hallway. The temperature in the hall is only about 16 degrees, when I turn it up to 25, the boiler fires up (but seems to wait for 5 mins before firing) and then goes off after just 3 - 5 mins.
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
Jacqui

Sponsored Links
hi,
many thanks for your replies :)
But I doubt the pump is the problem...as I have now removed the radiator thermostats in one room and those rads are now scorching! but the rest unfortunately are freezing! Boiler is still only coming on for about 5 mins each time.
Boiler is only 3 years old!
any other advice???

Sponsored Links
You need to shut off the rads one by one leaving only 1 running with trv off or full, it might help , and then get your system cleaned asap.

Forgot to mention and balance them after you do the above.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back