Please help- Painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a cellar plastered using Thistle Multi Finish and made the mistake of sanding the finishing coat (using 120 by hand) in some areas before applying the mist coat. Now I have applied the mist coat and an additional coat and the walls look patchy (see link below for pic). I was hoping applying more coats of paint would even them out but I think it's actually making it worse.

I really don't know what to do now and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Cheers,
Nick

I'm new to this site but I think you can see the picture using this link....

//www.diynot.com/network/Graymo28/albums/

Sponsored Links
I have had exactly the same result in the same situation. 3 walls were fine but the fourth looked like yours. I sanded it down and then gave three wash / mist coats (making sure each coat was dry before the next) then finally painted it carefully by brush. I found that using a roller made it worse.

I am guessing that there is a difference in the plaster makeup on this wall but would welcome suggestions / thoughts from folks with way more experience than me.

I recently had a cellar plastered using Thistle Multi Finish and made the mistake of sanding the finishing coat (using 120 by hand) in some areas before applying the mist coat. Now I have applied the mist coat and an additional coat and the walls look patchy (see link below for pic). I was hoping applying more coats of paint would even them out but I think it's actually making it worse.

I really don't know what to do now and would be grateful if anyone could give me some advice.

Cheers,
Nick

I'm new to this site but I think you can see the picture using this link....

//www.diynot.com/network/Graymo28/albums/[/QUOTE]

Why did you need to sand the finish coat anyway? The patchiness is probably due to breaking through the polished finish and creating a more porous surface which has absorbed more paint than the surrounding area.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry - it's not irreprable...btu possible a bit of work...here's what worked for me...

You need to get a couple of coats of paint on there thick enough to sand back.

I did this as I had a couple of high spots that needed addressing (never plaster in the dark!)

Use 180 grit or finer (pref 240) and lightly sand the patch in question. then a good 2 or 3 matt mist coats and let it dry. light sand to smooth it all out and then another couple of mist coats.

I used a non-vinyl trade matt at Screwfix and it was like thick thick yoghurt so needed watering down 50/50 (even though it only said 10% additional water) to get it anything like thin enough.

You need to seal the exposed 'rough' bit's you've created with enough paint to be able to sand back to then repaint to get a consistant finish.

Mine looks as good as new now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back