Please help settle a debate - would you screw plywood down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father and I had a debate earlier, whether it is correct to screw a 6mm sheet of plywood to a concrete floor which has wooden panels covering the pipes or to leave it unfixed. The ply will then be covered with ceramic floor tiles.

He was of the opinion that screwing it down would make it difficult if it ever needed to be taken up and that the weight of the tiles would hold it down.

I felt that having laid it down and walked on it, that it flexed under foot and this could lead to the tiles coming loose with time, especially as the floor is made up of two pieces in order to be able to fit it.

Sponsored Links
why you putting 6mm plywood over concrete base? You should be using the correct smoothing compound not plywood.

If you just have to have it there, then yes screw it down.
This will stop any future problems with warping etc.

But it would probably be better to use a self levelling compound etc if you needed extra height.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back