Please help with a deflecting lintel conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a bit of saga - but any suggestions/advice would be gratefully received.

Due to water coming in to my kitchen ceiling, I recently had a small slate roof above a conservatory (which leads off the kitchen) reroofed. I also had all my brickwork repointed. During the repointing my builder noticed that the wooden lintel, which the roof joins onto, appeared to have deflected. Ultimately, I was given 3 opinions on what to do:

1. The original surveyor (who did a full structural report which made no reference to a deflecting lintel) - thought the deflection was historical, would not continue and to just repoint the brickwork to an adequate depth

2. The builder - pack bricks around the lintel to prevent further deflection (a big job with removal of conservatory roof, internal structural supports, temporary wooden door/panelling for security)

3. The structural engineer - thought that by just repointing, pyramid cracking would continue around the lintel. Suggested replacement of wooden lintel with RSJ

I went with the surveyor (as the least messy/costly option) - but 2 months on the leak has reappeared and there is a hairline crack between the new lead flashing and mortar above the lintel.

The builder is going to try to improve the seal with additional flashing and silicone sealant - but in the same area there are several bricks which stay wet after rain - picture at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10564101@N06/918532322/

The builder and I cannot fathom out what is causing this - although it is presumably related to the lintel.

I would therefore appreciate help on:
a) suggestions for why these bricks are wet (and how to solve it)
b) if the builder's improved flashing/sealant doesn't work - what's the best remedial solution?

I'm a bit concerned about the structural disturbance that putting a new RSJ in would cause - to me and the adjoining neighbour.

Apologies for such a lengthy query. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I can't offer any advice on your problem, but you should update your photo link to remove the ). off the end, as not everyone will realise how to view the photos otherwise.

Sponsored Links
Is it always wet in that area or is it only after rain ? Would there be a radiator or anything located under the window inside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back