Please help with some general kitchen electric questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Hope you can help. I'm in the process of renovating my kitchen and I've decided to keep the costs down by preparing all the new electric sockets, fused spurs etc for the Electrician to do the final wiring.

Everything is now stripped back and I need to add some additional sockets and a fused spur for a double oven to an area of the room which doesn't have any existing counter height sockets. When chasing all the cables I know I need to use back plates and oval conduit but I need the following confirmed:

Counter Top Sockets:
A: Can I chase one double socket to another horizontally around a corner?
B: Will it be better to go up to the socket from the floor back down again and round to the second socket on the other wall?
C: If I do the later should I chase the cable into the bottom of the wall running along the floor or leave the wires exposed because kitchen units are going to be fitted there anyway?

Double Oven fused spur and connection:
D: Is it correct that I need a separate circuit for a double oven?
E: Should I have a fuse switch on counter top height and a point to hardwire the oven behind the oven?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your time.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
what amps/watts is the oven?

what current circuits are in the kitchen and what are they being used (to be used) for.

Are you in England or Wales?

If you are, and if your intention is to notify and provide an EIC from the electrician, or if your intention is that the electrician will tell Building Control that he did the work, then you must ask him all of these questions, and do it the way that he wants.

Thanks for the replies.

i'm in London. The oven is 0.79kWh. There is a separate circuit for the old cooker (which is on the other side of the room) and there is also a fridge/freezer socket circuit.

I think I will speak to the electrician as recommended.

Sponsored Links
Double Oven fused spur and connection:
D: Is it correct that I need a separate circuit for a double oven?
E: Should I have a fuse switch on counter top height and a point to hardwire the oven behind the oven?

yes.

although..you dont need a fused switch, just a 45amp (etc) switch plate, hard wired behind oven.

32amp mcb, rcd protected, 6mm cable, no socket on the circuit.

0.79kWh does not tell us how much current the oven draws - it's a useless and meaningless measure of the total energy consumed to carry out some standardised but arbitrary cooking task like reheating a Ginsters pasty, or burning a tray of fairy cakes.

It's supposed to allow you to compare the efficiency of different cookers, but unless reheating pasties and burning cakes are things you do regularly it's of little use.

And crucially it tells you nothing about the actual power draw of the appliance from the point of view of sizing a circuit. Not that it could be in practice, but in theory 0.79kWh could be 47.4kW for 1 minute....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back