No ring main in kitchen - help!

ok, good to know, and thanks for the replies.
:D . I will update with progress.

Sponsored Links
ENWL (what was Norweb) never charged when I was on the job...

Update, all safe and certified now, new CU fitted by experienced proffesional, worth the money for my peace of mind. Also I'm letting him wire the kitchen as the more i've looked into it the more i realize i dont know what i'm doing.

Sponsored Links
Shame it doesn't comply with the regulations :rolleyes:
I would say that it's probably an 'interesting case'. If the whole house currently only has those four circuits, unless you're going to say that replacing the CU requires fairly extensive re-wiring of the house (to split existing circuits or add new ones), then I'm not sure that any particularly meaningful or useful 'division of circuits' (so that all were not one one RCD) would really be possible, would it?

Kind Regards, John

He could have fitted an incomer board with RCBO's.
Yes, that's a possibility (at a price), but with so few circuits, the 'division' would arguably be of fairly limited value.

Kind Regards, John

No argument about it,when the RCD trips and the house snaps to blackout and he trips over the cat, and he's off work until jan with his broken leg it's worth every penny for RCBO's x4 . It's all down to standards obviously some of us have higher standards than others.

Kind Regards,

DS

At least separate RCDs for sockets and lights would help.
Yes - or an 'emergency light' or two.

I think the separation of sockets and lights is probably important mainly in the sense that it prevents the lights being taken out by a fault on the sockets circuit (which is probably the more likely occurrence). The other way, I'm not so sure that all that many people have lights plugged into sockets, easily found to turn on in the pitch dark, if a lighting circuit fault occurs.

In some of the localised areas (parts which were once, transiently, flats) of my house which don't really warrant dual-RCD (or all-RCBO) CUs, I have an RCBO for the lighting circuit and a single RCD for everything else.

Kind Regards, John

No argument about it,when the RCD trips and the house snaps to blackout and he trips over the cat, and he's off work until jan with his broken leg it's worth every penny for RCBO's x4 . It's all down to standards obviously some of us have higher standards than others.
As I've just written, as is the case in some parts of my house, when there are as few circuits as the OP has, I think it's a reasonable compromise to have an RCBO for the lights and an RCD for 'everything else' - or, as I've recently also suggested, everything on a single RCD plus an emergency light or two!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back