Connecting a Gas Hob ignition and Electric oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone answer these questions regarding my new oven and hob installation. I have a dedicated 35A circuit with a fused isolation switch above counter top level. This is connected to a double mains socket at the back of the oven housing. I had hoped to plug both the new gas hob (ignition spark) and oven into this double socket with 3A and 13A fused plugs (assuming this was ok).

Problems
1. My new shiny Neff 2.8kW oven did not come supplied with a plug or very clear instructions. Do I assume it wants to be hardwired? :confused:

2. The clearance between the oven and the socket is very tight at the back. If I managed to get the plugs in they may touch the back of the oven and I presume this would be a bad thing :eek: Can you buy skinny plugs :D

3. If I connected both directly to the back of the mains wall socket then neither the Hob or Oven would be protected by the fuses that would be in the plugs. I assume this would be okay for the oven but not for the hob.

Is there an easy way around this without moving units as the kitchen has just been installed?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Do you know what size cable is supplying the “Fused Isolation Switch” and what the fuse rating is? Also, what size cable is coming out of it to supply the double socket?

Would changing the double socket for two Fused Connection Units with bottom flex outlets solve the problem of no room behind the oven? Oven Fused at 13A and Hob at 3A

V

Hi V,

I think the cable is 6mm2 to both the isolation switch and the socket and a 35Amp fuse in the fuse box.

The problem with replacing the double socket with two singles is the very very hard brick. Had to use a kango hammer last time to cut into it and space is limited, I only have a 6x3 inch cut out at the back of the unit.

Is it possible to get a combined double socket as you described rather than two singles?

Cheers
:)

Sponsored Links
Hi V,

That looks as though it would work!:cool:

The backbox looks to be about the same size as a standard double - thanks V. Will try the local DIY tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Really appreciate the help :D

Cheers
A

iirc a dual box like that is about an inch wider than a double box.

You could also use a four module grid plate with two fuse modules and two flex outlet modules. More expensive but fits on a standard double box.

As the circuit is dedicated, how about replacing the 35A fuse with a 20A. Then fitting a junction box where the present sockets are located and running a length of 2.5mm T&E to more convieniently positioned sockets, and as your oven is less than 3Kw wire it to a 13A plug

Hi Guys,

Went with V's original suggestion and it worked a treat :LOL:

Hob now connected (Corgi Gas Fitter did that), oven and hob igniton wired up and working.

Thanks for the help, looking forward to a hot meal tonight!!! Those salads were really begining to ruin my figure :p

Cheers

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back