Please help with tiling prep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forums but have read many many many posts which have informed me on the tiling for my bathroom which I will be doing next week. My only tiling experience is a free class at b&q.
I will be tiling two walls (6m2 approx) most of which will be behind a large quadrant shower. After removing the old tiles and reading advice I decided my plasterboard was not in a good condition to support the weight of my tiles so I have replaced this leaving me with small gaps at plasterboard joins and where the new boards join the old boards. Max approx 6mm.
My question is what do I do about these gaps? I have read that I need to fill them before tanking (bal WP1 kit bought) and that it is best to do this with the adhesive (bal rapidset flexible) as this is better for tiling over than plaster.
Am I doing the right thing? And if so how soon after filling can I do the tiling?
Many thanks in advance for any advice, Lara

Sponsored Links
I presume that you have two stud framed walls?

And that you've replaced the p/b with cement backer board - the "new boards"?

Best practice is to run the backer board just past the shower enclosure jambs - you might have to fix another stud(s) to give edge bearing for the p/b and the BB.

The gaps, now being outside the enclosure are safe from wet, and can be covered by the trim/edge tiling.

Thanks for your reply, I replaced with plasterboard as I intend on tanking it and there are joins within the shower area though these ones are very small, about the 1.5mm that the bal kit says is fine to just tank over? Will this be ok or should I fill these with the adhesive first and use the mesh tape or should just use the tape provided in the bal kit for these joins? Many thanks for any help at all[/list]

If the gaps are small enough, then just use the tape supplied with wp1. It will be dry enough to tile the next day.
If you have large gaps then, yes, you can fill with your adhesive. BAL rapid set is dry enough for grouting after 3 hours, not sure about tanking. Will certainly be dry enough next day.

Sponsored Links
That's great, I have used adhesive to fill larger gaps and will now wait to use the tanking kit after the plumber has fitted the shower tray. Thank you for your help, I'm sure I will be back for more help when I begin the tiling next weekend! I'm no diy expert to offer my advice in return but if you ever need any biology info just ask!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back