Please Help

it would be very helpful if we knew which boiler you have, have you switced on the immersion heater (if you have one) at least you will have hot water while trying to sort out your boiler.

Sponsored Links
I beleive the make is ideal , its gravity fead with pump and i have a hot water tank upstairs in the airing cupboard. Is it possible for air to get trapped in the boiler ?

yes its possibe for air to be trapped in the boiler, can you see a model name or number on your boiler?

sorry don't know, at work at the moment. Its about 10 years old and has a small drop/swing down panel on the front that reveals a few controls. Is it a job for a qualified plumber or can i bleed the air ?

Sponsored Links
if you have drained the system, tried to run it empty, and now water does not circulate, then you may have an air lock, or air in the pump, or the pump might be seized (from running without water in it and overheating)

Apart from bleeding air out of all the rads to verify they are full of water, undo the large screw on the front of the pump. Some air may escape, then a few drops of water may trickle out. This is OK. Now look through the hole where the large screw was, and you will see the motor spindle. When turned off, you should be able to turn it with a screwdriver. When turned on, you should see it spinning. What do you see?

When turned on, is the pump strikingly hotter than the pipes around it?

I am not a pro

The pump appears to be ok, i had it working yesterday but didnt let it run for long just in case i was doing more harm than good. I will try your sugestion anyway i just dont understand it .......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back