Please Help

The water had nowhere to expand to. The FAQ does try to explain.

Sponsored Links
I,m sorry , I know I may souind dense but what was stopping it , as the expansion vessels seems ok as advised so what was stopping the water going anywhere else, where should it have gone, thanks
I have ordered a new AAV as the car valve was far too small -

Did hubby use the pressure relief valve to drain the boiler, when he played with the rad.

No he was not aware of this until we checked the boiler the other day

Sponsored Links
WHat dia means is that you may be confusing your knobs.
This is an Auto Air Vent
aav1.jpg

Here's one built into the back of a pump
PumpAndAAV4.jpg

This is a Pressure Relief Valve
prv1.jpg

This is a Pressure (Expansion) Vessel. The connection for the pump is the small one at the top, front. The cap on this one is painted.
PV3.jpg

Hi
The top one is correct that water comes out of that I have ordered anew one of - the bottom one is where the air comes out of. We still have no working boiler before I put my finger in the air valve anyway, air coming out of expansion vessel and water out of pipe out of wall. Thanks
I did try puttin a cap on the top goldy aav and they do not fit. From the car

kim reed wrote

I did try puttin a cap on the top goldy aav and they do not fit. From the car

Well then your AAV is different from mine which is identical to the one in ChrisRs photograph.
My car dust cap actually is slightly larger than the AAV cap but it does fit and is nothing that a few wraps of PTFE wouldnt cure.

Have you lost the AAV cap ??.

Water coming out of pipe through the wall is the PRV 3rd in chrisR photo's the one with the red cap

Yes, thats the bit in our boiler the pipe goes out of the wall, my huisband turns that to release the water out, we are stuck s to why it keeps coming out and if the expansion vessel seems ok if air is coming out of it then what to do next, thanks

kim reed wrote

Yes, thats the bit in our boiler the pipe goes out of the wall, my huisband turns that to release the water out, we are stuck s to why it keeps coming out.

I thought you said the water was leaking from the AAV vent port as the little cap is missing ??

Why are you stuck if you already know this or are you now suggesting the water is leaking from the prv .???

As my first questions stated, My boiler was losing pressure going from 2 - to 0 in hours, there was always water coming out of the pipe out of the wall ( the pipe comes in and goes into a round biggish grey like barrel thing and then up into the expansion vessel -)
in threads here it said for someone else to press the valve on the exp vessel and see if water comes out if it does it is broke. I did this but it was the AAV by mistake as not knowing I saw this with a valve and pressed it in, then water kept coming out, no car valve fits it so this became a problem and I have now ordered a new one but means our boiler has to be totally off now so no hw or ch.
We then found the ex vessel and pressed the valve and air came out my husband pumped some air in with a bike pump and no difference. He put the boiler back on and AAV valve still leaking water and the pipe out of the wall leading from the boiler is leaking water ALSO. So so far still off !!
ANy ideas !!

kim reed said:
As my first questions stated, My boiler was losing pressure going from 2 - to 0 in hours, there was always water coming out of the pipe out of the wall ( the pipe comes in and goes into a round biggish grey like barrel thing and then up into the expansion vessel -)
in threads here it said for someone else to press the valve on the exp vessel and see if water comes out if it does it is broke. I did this but it was the AAV by mistake as not knowing I saw this with a valve and pressed it in, then water kept coming out, no car valve fits it so this became a problem and I have now ordered a new one but means our boiler has to be totally off now so no hw or ch.
We then found the ex vessel and pressed the valve and air came out my husband pumped some air in with a bike pump and no difference. He put the boiler back on and AAV valve still leaking water and the pipe out of the wall leading from the boiler is leaking water ALSO. So so far still off !!
ANy ideas !!

AAV is knackered....common enough...geta new one on.

expansion vessel may be burst or it may be ok.....you said your hubby "put some air in"....how much and did he do it properly as per the FAQ's?

prv is almost certainly knackered now after all of this. i doubt very much that it will seat properly now.

either replace the AAV and PRV or get someone to do it. repressurise the exvessel properly and see if that stops the pressure rising on heating demand....if it doesnt geta new one of those also.

i dont remember seeing the boiler type mentioned in this thread so far.....what is it?

Dirt in the system has obviously lodged in the prv .
The valve has obviously opened whether manually by your husband or perhaps he inadvertantly over pressurised the system when refilling and the prv discharged causing it to stick open due to corrosion or debris lodged on the valve seats.
Similar scenario with your AAV I am afraid. :(

The whole system could be full of sludge also. :(

Why are you filling the system to 2 bar pressure?Do you have the user manual?Normally 1 bar is more than enough,if you fill to 2 bar pressure when the system heats up and increases the pressure still further it will activate the prv.As said it could well be the expansion vessel,but it could also be the prv,quite often muck and deposits foul the prv's seating and when its released it will never reseat as it should.try filling system to 1 bar pressure cold,then place a bottle or container under dishcharge pipe or just watch it.if it is 'leaking' still then the problem is you need a new prv.There may or may not be another problem with the expansion vessel,but it seems from what you have said you have overpressurised your system,the safety valve did its job and released the pressure,but unfortunately it may well not be sealing itself now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back