Luke Warm Shower used wiith Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help Please - We have a Mira 88 mixer shower which was installed when we had an instantaneous multipoint water heater and it worked fine. 3 years ago we had a Sime Format 80c combi fitted and the showers never been great!!

With this cold winter all we get is luke warm water. Even by reducing the flow from the shower doesn't help.

Have we just got an incompatible shower or is there a problem with the combi??

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe hot going into the shower hot hot? if so its the shower. if its only warm its the boiler, if everything else gets hot hot water then does the boiler fire and run continuosley when the showers on? if not it could be the diaphragm on its way out (if it has one) or something else???
Combis often can have hotwater faults which first show up on showers as they often have low flow rates.
If you think the problems with the shower it may be in need of a service the 88 is a shower which you can dismantle, de scale and fit a service kit and its good as new unlike the crappy showers now which you have to chuck the complete insides away! Having said that they were not designed for high pressure.

if this shower is not deigned for high pressure, then this is the problem why it has started (since the combi boiler was installed) - although it may be the thermostatic cartridge failing ...

Is the pipe hot going into the shower hot hot? if so its the shower. if its only warm its the boiler, if everything else gets hot hot water then does the boiler fire and run continuosley when the showers on? if not it could be the diaphragm on its way out (if it has one) or something else???
Combis often can have hotwater faults which first show up on showers as they often have low flow rates.
If you think the problems with the shower it may be in need of a service the 88 is a shower which you can dismantle, de scale and fit a service kit and its good as new unlike the rubbishy showers now which you have to chuck the complete insides away! Having said that they were not designed for high pressure.

The hot water inlet does get hot but not so you cant touch it. Do you think a thermostatic shower would help - thinking about the Mira excel.

Sponsored Links
mira 88 is no good on your system
either the excel or combiforce 415.

I think you are right - I need a new shower.

I understand that combi's raise water temp a certain preset amount above cold water mains temp - is this why this problem seems to be worse in the cold weather? Do you think I might have a boiler problem as well as the wrong shower? Boiler has started to make a bit of a funny noise when it fires up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back