please helpme fitmybath panel !!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Please please can someone help me fit my bath panel i bought the walnut bath panel 1700 from B&Q it has came in 2bits no instructions or screws or brackets it has been lying in my cupboard for 5 months and its driving me nuts arghhhhh i have just had a baby and have lost the receipt so cant take it back its just 2 bits of plain wood no holes in it the bath panel is the main bit then there is another bit that somehow is supposed to be attached to the bottom but i cant see how this would work as there is nothing to attach it to and no holes to put screws or anything in B&Q still have it on their website if u want to take a look then get back to me if you go to the B&Q website then type in the search bath panel walnut it is very dark i think its the 3rd one down i would really appreciate someones help thank-you xx

Sponsored Links
it is a fairly simple bit of carpentry but I would guess you have not had much practice

first thing is to hold the panel up against the bath to see if it fits, or if you are going to have to saw a bit off.

probably if you push it upwards, the top of the panel will fit (more or less) into the groove behind the rim of the bath. see if it fits and you can hold it in position, and it fits to the walls at each end too. if there are gaps at the end, measure them. see if it needs the top corners trimmed off to make the panel lift into the groove.

the second piece you have got is probably like a skirting board, you fix it to the floor, and fix the panel to this extra board so that it is held at the correct height. lie this extra board on the bathroom floor and see if it is the right length to fit from wall to wall. if it is too short or too long, measure the gap or amount to be trimmed off. If there is any trimming to be done, decide which end shows less (that is the end you want to cut). decide if the panel and boards have a top and bottom, or if they are exactly the same.

if you have bathroom carpet, it should be cut back so the skirting goes on the hard floor. It is OK to put it on top of vinyl etc.

Identify what the walls and floor are made of, and tell me

Do you own, or can you borrow:
a steel tape measure
pencil
electric drill
handsaw
screwdrivers
spirit level
blu-tak
it is also useful to have some white vinyl tape or masking tape that you can stick to the walls or panel and mark on (this saves marking the panel or wall)
you might also want a bit of dark walnut stain to cover any cut or damaged ends to make them blend in. A trial-size pot will do. no need to buy it yet.

if so, you will be able to do it. you will need some brackets or battens, but I will tell you about them when you have done the trial fit and measuring, as it depends on the size of gaps.

basically, you are going to fix the skirting bit firmly to the floor, and then screw the panel to the skirting when it is wedged into the bath rim, and also have a fixing to the wall at each end to hold it steady.

I will explain how to fix it with screws so it can easily be removed if a plumber needs access to the pipes

Hi,
thanks for ur quick reply well i have all that stuff that u mentioned but is this going to be a lot of hard work ?? i dont want to mess it up as it cost me a hundred pounds at the time so would i be better gettin someone to fit it and would it be a plumber or joiner ??and how much do u think it would cost ?? i dont know what u think would be easier for me to do ?? i am sorry for being a pain just want this done and out the road :) thank you so much xx

Sponsored Links
do the measuring and trial fit first and we will see how easy it is

if there has been a bath panel before they may even be the odd bracket or batten that you can re-use

if it does not need much cutting it will be easy

If you have a digital camera, take photos when you are trial fitting so I can see what needs to be done

A joiner or handymnan would have it done before he's finished his tea, but would have to charge you for a couple of hours to allow for travelling, unpacking his tools, reading the paper etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back