Is it recommended/easy making a tongue and groove bath panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like a T&G bath panel (1 side and 1 end panel) and have only seen one ready-made one (which I'd have to cut down and presumably breach its waterproofing) so could anyone advise me about making my own. Would the pine you see in B&Q be okay? Would it go on a ply sheet? How would you best protect it from water? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
SWBMO has requested on several occasions wood paneling in the bathroom and it has been rejected out of hand every time.

Wood and water just do not go together, particularly modern inexpensive white (red?) wood. Your likelihood of getting it to seal for any length of time IMO are negligible. It does exist in older houses but then the wood was good quality and years of overpainting has built up such a thick layer of protection that the wood survives. The problem is that the wood will move with humidity and temperature in the room - you cannot prevent that - and that will break down any surface protection you put on it, and then the water will get in and all your work is in vain.

My recommendation - don't do it!

Rob

People will roll their eyes at this but I made one out of 12mm MDF.I cut the panel to size and routed v grooves in it to give a T&G effect. I gave it three coats of PVA sealer and then painted it. 5 years on and no problems with it.

Sponsored Links
Bilioustrumpstaine - you remind me that my mother has an mdf bath panel that has been no trouble for many years.

Unfortunately I dont have a router or the skill so perhaps it's more cost effective to buy the finshed good - unless you say it's very easy to do.

Thanks to all for the replies

I made a bath panel and dado-level cladding (wainscotting :?: ),for my mother, out of 7mm T&G cladding from B&Q. Runs all around the bathroom (incl. above bath). Sealed with clear yacht varnish on outside face.

It's been up for 5yrs with no signs of warping/splitting/rotting/mould whatsoever.

Bilioustrumpstaine - you remind me that my mother has an mdf bath panel that has been no trouble for many years.

Unfortunately I dont have a router or the skill so perhaps it's more cost effective to buy the finshed good - unless you say it's very easy to do.

Thanks to all for the replies

Easy enough to do, you don't have to buy the best router in the world, a 1/4 inch own brand would do the job, a lot of the cheapie kits come with a selection of bits included. The only other bits of kit are a straight bit of timber to be your router guide, a couple of clamps, a tape and a pencil. Practice on some scrap, have a go!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back