plse help! will my car ever have music again?....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

im really hoping someone can help me, i have a 1999 ford fiesta and the stereo in it has died on me...

i got a flat battery a few weeks back and asked a friend to come out n jump start me...i assumed he knew what he was doing but got suspicious when spark and smoke started coming off my engine...i think he'd either let the leads touch or wired them up wrong...anyway after a small panic we finally got my car going and everything is fine except that my radio just does not work now :(

it doesnt even switch on to allow me to put the code in or anything...i changed the fuse in the box to the bottom right of the steering wheel...i went to halford who got radio out for me (it was factory fitted) and recommended getting a new radio from a scrap yard...

i ordered one from e-bay, plugged it in and even this new one doesnt work!! the seller has a full money back guarentee if the equipment doesnt work so im pretty sure that tghe radio itself is fine...

im running out of ideas as to what it could be! as you can probably tell im not a car expert and i hate having to ever take it to garages cos im sure they just completely make up whats wrong with my car and pluck a price out the air to charge me so if anyone can give me some advice i would be forever grateful!!

jo :D

Sponsored Links
First thig you want check is there is 2 lives (+) going to the stereo. Probably be a red one which is permanantly 12volts, and a yellow which comes to 12v when the ignition is switched on (if im wrong with the colours, im sure someone will shoot me down in flames!).
If not, that will be your problem.

Check all the other electrics as if something else isnt working it may help work out where the problem lies

hi,

im really hoping someone can help me, i have a 1999 ford fiesta and the stereo in it has died on me...

i got a flat battery a few weeks back and asked a friend to come out n jump start me...i assumed he knew what he was doing but got suspicious when spark and smoke started coming off my engine...i think he'd either let the leads touch or wired them up wrong...anyway after a small panic we finally got my car going and everything is fine except that my radio just does not work now :(

it doesnt even switch on to allow me to put the code in or anything...i changed the fuse in the box to the bottom right of the steering wheel...i went to halford who got radio out for me (it was factory fitted) and recommended getting a new radio from a scrap yard...

i ordered one from e-bay, plugged it in and even this new one doesnt work!! the seller has a full money back guarentee if the equipment doesnt work so im pretty sure that tghe radio itself is fine...

im running out of ideas as to what it could be! as you can probably tell im not a car expert and i hate having to ever take it to garages cos im sure they just completely make up whats wrong with my car and pluck a price out the air to charge me so if anyone can give me some advice i would be forever grateful!!

jo :D

Have you checked the rear of the radio for it's own fuse?
Most radios have a small blade type fuse, I think rated at 10 amp
This has probably blown, I would say the jump leads were connected up wrong, subjecting the radio to 24volts

id agree,there must be a power issue possibly a different fuse?
as neo suggests testing for power at the stereo connector is the only sure way of telling

Sponsored Links
There will be two fuses that could be effected.
See if the ciggy socket works, they're often on the same fuse.

Back