Plug/connector sizes between TV and other apparatuses

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi

I'm nearing the end of a house conversion and want to put some conduit in place for later routing of cables for TV/DVD and other bits.

What are the largest plugs I am likely to need to feed through, so I can choose right size conduit now ?

I'm not likely to be choosing any unusual equipment if that's an issue.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
HDMI has pretty much become the connector of choice for AV. Put in a bigger conduit than that though; you might need to pull on through a conduit that already has cables installed.

Probably the largest plug would be the scart plug (Improbably invented a hundred years ago by that great Georgian engineer Gerald Scart) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi,

I've recently done this myself, and have managed to run 2 x HDMI cables and a red/white/yellow Wii component cable through 30mm flexible conduit. In order to do this I bought HDMI cables where the (metal) plug mouldings could easily be removed in order to minimise the plug size when pulling them through. Pulling Scart plug/s through would require a huge conduit, but if you're confident, it would be easy enough to remove a Scart plug and reattach it when you've pulled the cable through.

I would imagine that most people would want some of the following connections for their TV:

Enough HDMI cables to support Sky/Cable TV/Blu-Ray/DVD/Games console/s etc.
Enough Scart cables to support Sky/Cable TV/ DVD/VCR/Games console/s etc.
Red/White/Yellow component cable for DVD/Wii etc.
Co-axial cable/s for TV/DTV/Satellite (If TV has freesat capability inbuilt)
Audio cables for surround sound etc.
Power cable for TV (If power not fed from a devoted socket behind TV, though probably not a great idea to run power cable in the same conduit as signal cables anyway)

I guess if you wanted lots of HDMI/Scart cables, then you could run 1 cable through conduit for each, with a splitter device near the source appliances, but not sure how good these are.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back