Plug-in car heaters

• Thread starter chinablue777
  • Start date
You could borrow the wife, full of hot air, but expensive to run and very noisy. ;)

Sponsored Links
Eberspachers (and Webasto sell a similar thing) burn diesel. They're also quite expensive to buy new..
And not always the most reliable thing or cheapest thing to keep running!

That's what I would have thought but the one on my 2001 406 Hdi still works perfectly, I didn't know the car had it when I bought it but I wouldnt be without it now. I believe it uses about half a litre of fuel per hour, but only until the engine gets to temperature, a small price to pay for being warm in my book. Doesn't help much though if the matrix is no good as it heats the water going into the heater, I believe that there is a hot air one available as used in lorry cabs but you still need diesel.

As already mentioned a decent car heater can deliver 4 or 5kw of heat, at a little under 100 amps per Kw that would equate to 400-500 amps, I don't think they make a car alternator with that output.

The only effective solution is to bite the bullet and get the matrix replaed.

Peter

(that doesn't refer to the wife, I didn't see this post :) )

There are some 12v heating fans, but they are pretty useless.

I bought the 'best money can buy' for my camper as there isnt a heater in the rear. 300w its meant to be! And I cannot feel any heat off it at all!

chocolate teapot, wiremesh watering can, tit on a fish, pick your anaology.

I bought 2 or 3 when the matrix in my old motor went, absoloutly pointless, the best I got, with the best one agains the screen was a hand sized hole to see through and that was after 8miles.

The better option was a fan heater in the car, hooked up to the mains on a timer, that defrosted the car and kept it warm for the length of time it took me to get to work.

Sponsored Links
Another no vote for the plug in heaters. I got one when the heater stopped working on my old Passat. As already said it would just about clear a hole in the mist on the screen after several miles.
It was a good car that Passat but it was nearly 20 years old. It wasn't the matrix as far as I could tell, nor was it airlocked, but there was something wrong in the heater guts that would have meant ripping the dash out. No way was I going to do that! I was glad when the engine packed up and I had an excuse to scrap it!
If the cars a good 'un bite the bullet and fix it. Otherwise. . .

The better option was a fan heater in the car, hooked up to the mains on a timer, that defrosted the car and kept it warm for the length of time it took me to get to work.

Did you drive with an extension lead plugged into your house while you drove to work?

Lets hope no-one tripped over it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

Did you drive with an extension lead plugged into your house while you drove to work?

Lets hope no-one tripped over it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Andy

of course no one tripped over it, it was one of those reels....

for clarification, it was discconnnected on the commute, but the car stayed warm enough for the duration :)

Back