WiFi plug question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just bought a couple of WiFi plugs to turn on a couple of heaters in work to warm an area up on my way in. They are a 3kw (can be switched over to 1.8kw) and a 2kw. They are rated at 3120w. Only thing is, the instructions give a big list of things that are 'best not' used on and one of them are heaters! Surely if they are rated at more than a particular unit, they can be used, can’t they?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes, they’re heaters as I said in my original post. Why can’t a 2kw heater be used in a 3120w socket? I’ve tried them out for ten minutes. What will happen - will they catch fire/melt or just pack up?

Because the switch can't handle reactive (maybe only inductive) loads of that size? When switched off, back emf can cause a high voltage to appear at the switch terminals.

What else is on the list of "best not used"?

Kettles, cookers, microwaves, toasters....
Ah well, looks like they are going back to Amazon then. Thanks.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Well, I only looked at the first 3 out of 260 pages for that guy's shop, but they did not give any indication of expertise relavent to that type of product.

The maker's website says "Usable with all range of household devices and appliances", but then they are Chinese.

Could be.

I struggle to understand why anybody would want to remotely switch kettles, cookers, microwaves, toasters via the internet.

But then I struggle to understand the mentality of people who think that because one can do something one should.

Ive just bought a couple of WiFi plugs to turn on a couple of heaters in work to warm an area up on my way in. They are a 3kw (can be switched over to 1.8kw) and a 2kw. They are rated at 3120w. Only thing is, the instructions give a big list of things that are 'best not' used on and one of them are heaters! Surely if they are rated at more than a particular unit, they can be used, can’t they?

They recommend you switch nothing that can cause a fire, stuff can fall on or in and if you're there to turn the thing on initially there's a good chance you'll spot the hazard or developing smoke.

Nozzle

I have similar devices there is nothing that says can't be used with heaters.

I know there have been problems with paper blowing onto convector heaters and causing a fire, if unattended normally oil filled are used, as no red hot parts to cause ignition. Likely also sold to USA and they really do some daft things like expecting their car to drive its self automatically think it was a Tesla so manufacturers have to play safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back