Selection switch

Sponsored Links
It must be a northern idea. :)
Hmmm. I'm not sure about that - I've never lived 'north of Watford' for more than a few weeks, and the OP appears to be in London!

Back in the 50s/60s, my grandparents had a plumbing equivalent of this. They had a cast iron coal-fired thingy with a water jacket, which 'directly heated' (no coil) water in the hot water cylinder. There was a massive great lever which operated a valve which switchen the connection from the water jacket to one of tywo different positions on the cylinder. Most of the time they used the 'low volume' setting (just for kitchen sink and bathroom basin), but when the day of the week for baths arrived, they would switch it to the other position for a few hours! ISTR that controlling the fire so as to avoid boiling of the water was a bit of a game!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
man. just been told by my electrician that this arrangement won't work. i was going to get the following timer and switches
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod...ct-16a-electronic-immersion-heater-timeswitch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/K5207WHI-amp-Dual-Switch-Neon/dp/B005BDB0TQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_2_8NEP
he hasn't said why it won't work so i will need to ask him for an explanation.
That's essentially what we've been suggesting. Make sure he understands that you want the timer before the switches, and ask him why he's saying it will not work - and then let us know what he says!

Kind Regards, John

man. just been told by my electrician that this arrangement won't work. i was going to get the following timer and switches
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod...ct-16a-electronic-immersion-heater-timeswitch
http://www.amazon.co.uk/K5207WHI-amp-Dual-Switch-Neon/dp/B005BDB0TQ/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_t_2_8NEP
he hasn't said why it won't work so i will need to ask him for an explanation.
That's essentially what we've been suggesting. Make sure he understands that you want the timer before the switches, and ask him why he's saying it will not work - and then let us know what he says!

Kind Regards, John

he says there will be too many switches so there will not be enough room on the wall. I think he is talking rubbish as it is only an extra switch to the timer.

but he says that timeguard is not very good and he had to replace one only 5 months old and that horstmann is better and will last longer so i can believe this statement better.

he says it will cost more labour if i want the switch as it is an additional item he has to connect. ummmm... not sure about this. how much longer does it take to add in an extra switch?????

he says there will be too many switches so there will not be enough room on the wall. I think he is talking rubbish as it is only an extra switch to the timer.
What?! You are presumably in as good a position as him to tell whether or not there is enough room on the wall - is he right? (I doubt it!)
but he says that timeguard is not very good and he had to replace one only 5 months old and that horstmann is better and will last longer so i can believe this statement better.
As you say, he might be right (although, I have to say, I've had Timeguard timeswitches working for years) - but the make of timeswitch doesn't alter anything!
he says it will cost more labour if i want the switch as it is an additional item he has to connect. ummmm... not sure about this. how much longer does it take to add in an extra switch?????
Connecting a switch obviously takes a little more time than not connecting a switch, but not a lot. How does he want to do it?

Do you have faith in this electrician?

Kind Regards, John

How does he want to do it?

Do you have faith in this electrician?

This has now been sorted with a horstmann boost switch. The boost is used for the bottom immersion heater which is not needed except when the top heater breaks down and we have to wait for dynorod to come and replace the top immersion heater under our maintainance contract.

Been going for a few months now and no problem.

How does he want to do it? Do you have faith in this electrician?
This has now been sorted with a horstmann boost switch. The boost is used for the bottom immersion heater which is not needed except when the top heater breaks down and we have to wait for dynorod to come and replace the top immersion heater under our maintainance contract. .... Been going for a few months now and no problem.
Thanks for the update. I'm pleased to hear that you eventually got what you wanted.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back