2KW Fan heaters wired with 2 core 0.75mm flex!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A long time ago, I bought two 2KW fan heaters from TLC during an extension as we needed them in the winter when we used them to help dry plaster out.

I have just noticed that the cable they use and come with is 2 core 0.75mm flex what has a maximum current rating of 6 Amps!

Is this legal, let alone remotely safe overloading the cable in this situation.

The fan's also have the CE mark on them, if any relevance.

I am guessing the fan's are not exactly 2KW and are in reality below 2KW, as once when I was away, my mum plugged both of them into a 13 Amp extension socket (both on 2KW setting), and the 13 amp fuse did not below (although the extension lead cable was extremely warm!).

Maybe a PF thing or just a poor design?

Is it also possible that the cable can in reality take more current than what it is rated for?

How comes they are supplied like this?

Sponsored Links
Well, 2kW is 'only' 8.33A.

Perhaps the cable is slightly bigger that 0.75mm².

Some appliances are supplied with seemingly too small conductors but it is allowed because of different regulations.

If it is a reputable make I would say it is alright,
direct from China; perhaps not.

The fan heaters cable are marked with "2x0.75mm2"

2000W = 8.69Amps (2000/230)

The brand of the heaters is Prem-I-Air

Sponsored Links
The exact cable markings are: <VDE> H05VV-F 2X0.75mm2 CIXI ****ONG ****ong.

Last edited:
The exact cable markings are: <VDE> H05VV-F 2X0.75mm2 CIXI ****ONG ****ong
That would, indeed, have a current rating of 6A. I wouldn't expect it to come to any harm at ~8A, but it clearly should not be fitted to a 2 kW appliance. Does the cable get very warm in use?

Kind Regards, John

How does 2KW = 7.99 Amps at 230v?

I assume your thinking it is rated 2KW at 240V and takes less than 2Kw at 230v [(2KW / 240) * 230 = 1.916KW]

230v is the standard voltage in accordance with 17th edition of BS7671 for the UK, and amps = power divided by voltage.

So 2KW = 2000W, and 2000w divided by 230 = 8.695652...Amps. At least that what would use for official calculations. (best to assume power ratings at 230v rather than 240v)

On a side note, the cable is made by ****ong is a Chinese brand.

(best to assume power ratings at 230v rather than 240v)
Best to use the actual specs of the actual appliance.

An appliance rated as 2 kW when supplied with 230 volts will have a resistance of 26.45 Ohms and a current draw of 8.7 Amps

The same appliance when supplied with 253 volts ( 230 + 10% ) will draw 9.5 Amps and be dissipating 2.4 kW

Since 253 volts is possible in the UK then cables to a 2 kW at 230 volt appliance should be able to safely carry 9.5 amps.

According to IEC 60335-1, which a fan heater should be tested to, 0.75mm2 supply cords are allowed for appliances with a current rating less than or equal to 6A. However, a portable appliance (like a fan heater), is allowed to use a 0.75mm2 supply cord for a current rating up up 10A, provided the length of the cord does not exceed 2m.

So the supply cord complies with the standard.

The <VDE> mark means the cable is VDE approved http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verband_der_Elektrotechnik,_Elektronik_und_Informationstechnik

PLAN B

In the time it has taken eveares to create and continue this topic he could probably have rewired at least one of the heaters with 1.5mm²..... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back