2 core flex 0.5mm or 0.75mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting in some cable for my brother in law to fit fused spur and then alarm control panel to fused spur (he works as an electrician for company) I want to connect my wireless alarm control panel to an 3a fused spur. I'm figuring 2 core flex 0.5mm should be ample but I'm guessing if I get the 0.75mm then that will be fine to use too or better just to use 0.75mm anyway as cost difference is so minimal for what will be like 1 metre of cable?

Sponsored Links
Table 52.3 - Minimum cross-sectional area of conductors

Only allows 0.75 mm sq cable for power circuits so don't even know why any outlet would stock 0.5 mm sq cable.

NOTE 1: In signalling and control circuits intended for electronic equipment a minimum cross-sectional area of 0.1mm² is permitted.

So maybe Maplin would stock 0.5 mm but would not expect to see it in the DIY sheds.

because beleive it or not flex is used for things other than fixed wiring. Afaict 0.5mm is perfectly acceptable for appliance flexes and pendant drops.

Sponsored Links
He is on holiday this week in Spain, so will be coming round at weekend before he is back in work and his van and wires are in work.

There is a table on DIY Not that gives maximum values for cables at //www.diynot.com/pages/el/el003.php which says up to 3 amps and 720 watts, but I'm assuming it doesn't really matter if you get flex that takes more wattage and amps, assuming you can't overkill going the other way?

It's a Visonic class 2 alarm. I'm quite competent at DIY, just not electrics and like to be sure when it comes to electricity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back