2KW Fan heaters wired with 2 core 0.75mm flex!?

Sponsored Links
the flex 'CCCs' do seem extremely 'conservative' - but I'm not sure that is an acceptable excuse for exceeding them!
Perhaps the manufacturers have argued the case and won.
That's already been suggested, and may well be the case, but they don't seem to have argued (at least, successfully) their case with IET or JPEL/64.

Mind you, I'm not sure where the CCCs in BS7671 actually come from - do they perhaps derive from some outside body?

Kind Regards, John

Another possible factor is the long-term effect on the plastic of running at elevated temperature. Perhaps a "portable" device can be assumed to be used for no more than X hours per year, while a "fixed" device might run continuously.

Another possible factor is the long-term effect on the plastic of running at elevated temperature. Perhaps a "portable" device can be assumed to be used for no more than X hours per year, while a "fixed" device might run continuously.
As I said before, I might see some sense in such arguments in relation to most 'portable appliances' (tools, kettles, toasters, hair dryers etc. etc.) but, in the specific context of this thread, fan heaters seem to be a different kettle of fish - since they could easily be on for hours at a time (and very many hours per year). Whatever, if there were a good case for allowing a higher CCC in certain circumstances (certain types of load, length of cable or whatever), one would expect/hope that BS7671's CCC figures would reflect that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
the flex 'CCCs' do seem extremely 'conservative' - but I'm not sure that is an acceptable excuse for exceeding them!
Perhaps the manufacturers have argued the case and won.
That's already been suggested, and may well be the case, but they don't seem to have argued (at least, successfully) their case with IET
Why would they argue their case with regards to a standard they don't work to?

My gut feeling is that the exception was only put there for portable appliances because no fixed appliance manufacturer bothered arguing for it.

Why would they argue their case with regards to a standard they don't work to?
I suppose that is a point, but ...
My gut feeling is that the exception was only put there for portable appliances because no fixed appliance manufacturer bothered arguing for it.
... regardless of what "Standard they work to", anyone installing hard-wired fixed appliances presumably does have to comply with BS7671, so there would be little point in something else 'allowing' a cable size than would be non-compliant with BS7671?

Kind Regards, John

screenshot_139.jpg

Ever looked at cable, a switch, a whatever, and seen how different the ratings are from different organisations?

Ever looked at cable, a switch, a whatever, and seen how different the ratings are from different organisations?

It's not the organisations that are responsible for the different ratings but the standards tested to.

An appliance power switch may be tested to UL1054 for sale in the USA and to EN 61058 for sale in Europe. Both standards call up different test methods and ratings. You may have noticed that some UL Recognised switches are rated in hp (horsepower!) rather than current

The exact cable markings are: <VDE> H05VV-F 2X0.75mm2 CIXI ****ONG ****ong
Oh look - more braindead autocensoring, utterly devoid of context, which prevents people from communicating properly.

DIYnot - whether you like it or not, Shіtong IS the name of a town in China!

Oh look - more braindead autocensoring, utterly devoid of context, which prevents people from communicating properly.

DIYnot - whether you like it or not, Shіtong IS the name of a town in China!

I was wondering what happened with the censoring, I was sure I did not type it like it shows now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back