Plug in RCD problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have an old fashioned fusebox with 4 fuses supplying 4 circuits, no rcd's.
I have a plugin type of rcd that I have used at work so I know thats ok, when I bought it home to connect to our christmas lights this year, I plugged in to a plug socket switched on It is impossible to reset it to 'on' even without anything plugged in on the output side of the rcd.
I wasnt aware that a possible fault on the input side of an rcd should cause a problem like this. Anyone shine any light on this please.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I have an old fashioned fusebox with 4 fuses supplying 4 circuits, no rcd's.
I have a plugin type of rcd that I have used at work so I know thats ok, when I bought it home to connect to our christmas lights this year, I plugged in to a plug socket switched on It is impossible to reset it to 'on' even without anything plugged in on the output side of the rcd.
I wasnt aware that a possible fault on the input side of an rcd should cause a problem like this. Anyone shine any light on this please.

Have you tried the RCD in another socket - connected to something else?

Do the Christmas tree lights work straight into the socket?

Try unplugging it before resetting. Some of the plug in RCDs have to be removed from the source to reset.

thanks for the reply,
ive tried plugging the rcd into the upstairs and downstairs ring mains, nothing is plugged into the output stage of the rcd at this stage and it still trips straight away.
Hope this gives more information.
Could a neutral/earth fault for axample on my existing installation cause a problem with a plug in RCD in any of my socket outlets?

Sponsored Links
some rcd sockets do not reset if the earth to it is unsuitable.
Not sure if plug in jobs would be similar.
Could you try it in a neighbours house

Could a neutral/earth fault for axample on my existing installation cause a problem with a plug in RCD in any of my socket outlets?
It certainly shouldn't do. After all earth and neutral are connected together somewhere before the RCD anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back