Plug in RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,
Just a quick one,
I was wandering can you get a plug in RCD (rcbo), just replaced my sisters old shower, it wasnt RCD protected, just a 30A plug in circuit breaker, the old push button ones.
Cheers All

Sponsored Links
simple answer: you cant. and RCD needs both live and neutral. a fuse only has live. youll have to either get a new CU or get a mini shower CU

or fit a seperate rcd after the CU in its own box

as to why its not practical to make a RCBO for a wylex standard (plug in) consumer unit

have you seen the size of a rcbo?
have you seen the size of a plug in wylex breaker?

not to menation the wiring arrangements would be a nightmare for such a device especially given the general cramedness of those CUs

30A - that's a tiny shower. Shame you didn't go the mini shower CU route so that you could have upgraded the circuit to support a bigger one..

Sponsored Links
Further to this post,
I have installed this shower, all i have to do is fit the RCD when it arrives tommorow, its the shower enclosure type incorporating an MCB.

When i have fitted shower cable to RCD next to CU, i then have to wire from RCD to CU, which is straightforward, but what about the useless 30amp fuse that is in CU at moment???

1: Do i have to install further 45Amp fuse?
2: Or (crossed my mind) have 6mm link wire?

Either feed it from a suitable fuse in the carrier in the CU, or via henley blocks in the meter tails.

jacktomo said:
When i have fitted shower cable to RCD next to CU, i then have to wire from RCD to CU, which is straightforward, but what about the useless 30amp fuse that is in CU at moment???
It's not useless, it is protecting the cable that runs between the main CU and the shower CU.

1: Do i have to install further 45Amp fuse?
That depends on what size cable the shower circuit is wired with, and what the rating of the shower is.

2: Or (crossed my mind) have 6mm link wire?
Not on a 45A breaker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back