Bathroom refit... RCD protection question

S

SplanK

I understand that the latest regs state that all bathroom electrical circuits must be protected by an RCD.....

Our consumer unit has a master RCD (80a) which when trips, or is manually turned off - kills ALL power to the house.... the individual circuits (upstairs lights, downstairs lights, upstairs sockets.......) are individual fuses rather than individual RCD's (a bit like those that are in a plug at appropriate size’s - not the ye old wire plug in efforts...)

Would I be right in thinking that as there is an RCD protecting all circuits on the consumer unit, that this would be fine for the latest regs and I can get things like lights and extractor moved (thus modifying the cable) without the need for an extra RCD to protect just the bathroom?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well technically yes, but do you really want EVERY single circuit going off when the one RCD trips?? Elf & Safety. Is your CU not a split load board?

Take apic and post.

What you will also have to ensure is that the Tails and bonding are up to date, ALL the circuits in the bathroom must be RCD protected to avoid supplementary bonding, but as many on here will tell you we like to do it anyway!!!

The work is also in a special location so is notafiable to LABC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back