RCD Advise?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have have been looking at some of the advise on here and I was wondering if somebody could give me an idea on what I should do regarding having sockets RCD protected.

My parents house is approx 30 years old and it has one ring for mains which supplies all the sockets in the house (up and downstairs), this circuit is on a 32A MCB but has no RCD Protection. Due to financial constrants it is not really possible to have an electrician rewire so that they have a seperate ring for up and downstairs.
Do you think that they should replace the MCB with a RCBO for all the sockets?
Or would a RCD adaptor suffice when they plug their lawnmower into the downstairs sockets?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise

Sponsored Links
I personally have a Petrol one so if it's similar to mine they won't need an RCD at all :LOL:

If they do use a plug in RCD make sure the test button is used every time the cut their grass or use it.
The downside to RCBO route is it will cut the power to the freezer if it's not on a seperate circuit which ain't good if your on holiday when it happens.

What is the make and colour of the consumer unit? Can you put up a photo?

How many sockets do you have that can reasonably be expected to be used with outdoor appliances?

Sponsored Links
Fit an RCD protected socket front to every point that could reasonably be used to supply equipment for use outdoors. These would include any near external doors & possibly windows too, on the ground floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back