plug jammed in plug hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
has any one got any handy tips for trying to get a plug out of a hole?

the plug is a "pop up" in a bath. the pop up usually works by turning a circular knob.

the plug (chrome) seems to be stuck, as if someone has pushed it down too hard. the knob moves but is not pushing the plug back up.

under the bath is sealed so we cant access the pop up that way.
we've tried using a thin screw driver but they are obviously not thin enough. would a plunger help? or any other suction device?

help!!

Sponsored Links
Oh dear! This ain't going to be simple if the bath is sealed in!

It sounds as though the mechanism has worked lose. The only way to fix this problem correctly is to gain access to the back of the bath where the taps and the 'plug knob' come out.

Are you sure the bath is sealed in? Most Plumbers would leave some form of access in case they need to gain entry for servicing or little problems such as this. People have asked me to 'Seal' bath panels etc before and I always tell them its a really bad idea for these very reasons. If you seal the bath panel the mess created just for a minor repair such as this can make the job become very expensive. The panel will probably need replacing!

A small 'plunger' that would stick to the plug and pull it out 'might' work. It would at least allow you to use the bath. When I was serving my time as a Fitter (all those years ago :cry: ) we used to Grind Valve Seats with a 'Valve Grinding Tool'. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/1-1-1-3-Valve-Grinder/dp/B0006BK10C

Most of this sort of work is done by machine now but you can still do it by hand as the link above proves. Try somewhere like Halfords or Motorworld etc they should have them. This tool is obviously not intended to be used in this way so I cannot guarantee it will get the plug out, its just an idea.

They only other thing I can think of at the moment without seeing the job is to screw a screw into the plug and remove it by grabbing hold of the screw but that will ruin the plug but if you can get it out completely you could just buy an ordinary plug (on a chain type) and use that once the old one is completely removed. However, getting the old one out all together could prove tricky!

As I say, the best bet is to try and gain access to the mechanism in order to fix the problem correctly.

Good Luck either way!

try a plunger on the plug.... you know the big rubber ones.... it might just give you some movement to lift the plug...

But it does sounf like a broken mec....

Yes I have sometimes managed it by syphoning out the water as much as possible, sponging the rest and then using the plunger. Other times I have had to drill a whole in the plug inset a screw and pull it up.

Sometimes I have to smash the tiles to gain access underneath, recent case was luxury flat side of bath tiled in real slate, then walls tiled, then floor tiled, by the builder of course.

I find property developers such optimists.

Sponsored Links
I hate pop up wastes for this very reason... mechanisms arent altogether reliable. Worse when waste is located in the middle of the bath at the legth/wall end. If the bath is "sealed" (some people will insist on having them with a rebated ply wooden subframe and then tiling.. without any reasonable degree of being able to remove them and provide access totaps/waste) them, by hook or by crook you'll have to try and somehow remove the plug. Good luck!

If you totally mess up the plug trying to remove it you may wish to consider removing the panelling and replacing plug with a traditional, non-pop up chrome plated plug + waste fitting on a chain. A messy job I know but it'll save you having to repeat the process all over again in future. Even if your waste overflow location is at the rear of the bath in the middle, I know a handy tip for reattaching the overflow/bajo waste.

I'll save this post and keep an eye open if you need any more advice.

assuming the mechanism is broken, if i manage to plunge (or otherwise) get the pug out of the hole, surely i wont have to rip off the panel. instead i can just get a plug witha chain, in the correct size?

sarahproperty said:
assuming the mechanism is broken, if i manage to plunge (or otherwise) get the pug out of the hole, surely i wont have to rip off the panel. instead i can just get a plug witha chain, in the correct size?

Id guess you could, if your happy with doing that... It will certainly work... and sopose it will sae you lots of time removing the side pannel.

You could yes but for aesthetics you might have to do a bit of jiggery pokery. Pop up wastes usually have a dial on the overflow to turn which activates the lever raising and lowering the plug. If you substitute a chrome plug you may have to give consideration to where you attach the chain??? Of course you could dispense with the chain altogether! Bu6t if you wanted to replace the overflow and waste (plug socket etc) you would have to remove the panel.

Could try:
a hoover -have had success with those!
the suckers sparkies use to get low voltage bulbs out (like the valve grinding tool)
gaffer tape
hot melt glue gun (and a bit of wood to get hold of)
glue like contact cement - comes off if you really try
Araldite - comes off if you really really try

ok read all the how to,s...removed trap...towel below...mirror placed under ...Hammer and screw driver ..drive screwdriver up with tapping till the plug raises..spray with wd 40 and repeatedly move plug up and down. ..leave to soak all night..job done...

I wish that I'd read this before struggling for hours to get the bath panel off. Vigorous work with a sink plunger released the plug and allowed the bath to empty.

It turns out that the mechanism still works perfectly, but the adjustment screw had fallen out of the bottom of the plug.

No trace of the screw; I guess it must have washed away. I wonder if I can find a replacement? In the mean time I will keep the plunger handy, and assume that we can use the bath.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back