Plug or outlet plate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just acquired newish dual fuel single cooker. It has a plug on it. My kitchen has an outlet plate and an isolater switch with socket above the counter top. After asking in a previous forum, I swapped the outlet plate for a single socket, when I plugged the cooker in... nothing! The socket does work in the isolater switch. I have doubled checked my connections. Would it be possible that the isolater switch is caput, or could it be the wiring between the isolater and outlet plate?
I have just had a new kitchen put in and it has been freshly tiled, really don'tneed to hack off pounds worth of tiles!! Have now been without a cooker for months, any help would be so appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Could be any of those things.

I connected up a new electric cooker after moving back from gas for safety reasons (elderly occupant nearly gassed herself by using the cooker to get up after a fall and turned all the taps on, then went to bed).

Isolator had worked fine when last electric unit was removed, but outlet was dead. Opened the switch up to find that the one of the toggles had jumped off its pivot - easy to fix.

It's easy to check the cable though - disconnect both ends and do a continuity check.

It could just be that it is switched off at the consumer unit.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
"The socket does work in the isolater switch."

I took that to mean that the cooker control unit has a 13A socket which works - so can't be turned off at the CU. Of course, I may have misunderstood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back