Plug socket lowered, new cables through old back box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping you can help.

We've recently had an electrician in to lower a plug socket that was previously used to feed a wall-mounted TV.

The wall was chased and new cables run down the length of the chase, however the old back box was left in the wall, with the new cables simply run straight through it. Is this normal practice? I'm concerned it's going to make my plasterers job very difficult as the old back box is flush with the wall!

Attachments

• 20231030_145643.jpg
    20231030_145643.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20231030_145653.jpg
    20231030_145653.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 101
Sponsored Links
No not normal practice it's a new one on me.

Sponsored Links
Lazy a*s*h*le couldn't even be bothered to fit grommets.

My bet would be taken the cables through a junction box and put them on connectors by the side.

Yep, but I'd be curious about what he had done in the ceiling, to extend the cables.
I don't know why but I'd got the impression this is in a bedroom and assumed the joins are in the loft. But that may easily not be the case.

Yes, I would deffo remove the old box.

And after seeing that mess that he was happy to leave for the customer to see, I would lift up the floor to check how he has connected up under the floor.

Did he leave any paperwork?

Thanks for the replies everyone. The property is a bungalow, the cables are routed through the loft space. I've been up to look and can see a Wago Box was used to run new cables from an existing circuit. I didn't receive any form of paperwork for the work carried out, should I expect a minor works certificate? Not sure what is typically covered under minor works.

Ruf as a Badgers judging solely by your post and, as pointed out already, no grommets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back