Routing cables through back box

Sponsored Links
Another possible solution (not that there is a problem to start with) is to fit TWO double sockets above the counter (always come in handy) and position the under counter socket central to the sockets above.

This way the wiring can be configured in an orderly way.

I’d route it behind the box personally. And for me, spurs on a new installation is a bit poo.

... And for me, spurs on a new installation is a bit poo.
I suppose my first reaction (aka 'gut feeling') would be the same, but I'm not sure how rational that really is ... unless one is talking about very close to an end of a ring (and provided that appropriate cable is used if the spur is to serve more than one socket), it's not really materially different from a radial (which can 'branch' as much as one likes), is it?

Ironically, if one 'snipped' through the ring somewhere, and changed things at the CU from one 32A device to 2 x 20A or 2 x 25A ones, then no-one would bat an eyelid about 'branches', and some would even praise this arrangement as an 'improvement' over the previous ring!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the regulations permit you to do all kinds of rough stuff if you are so inclined.

Forcing a cable into a box is double rough, forming a spur is the sensible solution that complies with all regs

Yeah, the regulations permit you to do all kinds of rough stuff if you are so inclined.
Whilst that is certainly true, if you're still talking about spurs, as I wrote, I'm not at all sure that I personally regard them as 'rough stuff'. As I said/implied, there's not really any electrical argument against it (as installed).

Kind Regards, John

Whilst that is certainly true, if you're still talking about spurs, as I wrote, I'm not at all sure that I personally regard them as 'rough stuff'. As I said/implied, there's not really any electrical argument against it (as installed).
It is always a matter of opinion. However when you are already chasing the walls such that installing the ring is possible, then I don't see any reason to compromise.

It is always a matter of opinion. However when you are already chasing the walls such that installing the ring is possible, then I don't see any reason to compromise.
Agreed, but "compromise" still implies that there is something inherently wrong ('rough') about a spur, and I'm not personally convinced it is the case.

Given that (slightly) 'overloading one arm of a ring final' is just as likely with an injudiciously positioned socket ON a ring as with an equally injudiciously originated spur, the only electrical argument (against spurs) I can think of would not be an immediate one, but (assuming an unfused spur) an attempt to reduce the risk of someone making incorrect (and non-compliant) changes in the circuit in the future - but, as often discussed, I'm not sure that a designer really needs to try to pre-empt possibly incorrect future work.

There are certainly some situations in which a spur seems to make total sense. If there is a need for one socket in a location which is distant from the rest of the 'physical ring', then it would seem daft to unnecessarily run two cable to it. Were it a radial circuit, one wouldn't dream of unnecessarily running a cable to it and then another back to where the other sockets were (to 'continue the radial') - one would use a 'branch' (which is the radial's name for a 'spur').

As I said initially, my immediate 'gut reaction' is to say that spurs are 'not as desirable' as putting accessories 'on the ring' (although I would never call them 'rough') but, as I'm been saying, I would probably struggle to really justify such feelings.

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
This thread has reminded of a problem I encountered many years ago. I had to force a spur cable through a very small gap and had to form a very tight right angle. A few months later the cable failed, and I found the cable was badly burnt at the tight right angle. At the time I had no idea what had caused the burning. But it seems this must have been due to series arcing caused by my mistreatment of the cable.

On the few occasions when I have run a 2.5 through a box I have always had to force it into the corners of the box using a hammer shaft or other blunt instrument. Seems to me forcing the cable into a box is creating the perfect conditions for series arcing - and possible fire.

Don't do it.

Without trying to sound like a patronising berk, I don't think anyone here is suggesting applying any force, or awkward bends.

A cable can be run through a 25mm box with a standard plastic socket without having to apply any force.

Without trying to sound like a patronising berk, I don't think anyone here is suggesting applying any force, or awkward bends.

A cable can be run through a 25mm box with a standard plastic socket without having to apply any force.

That is not true, it requires a lot of force, unless your doing it on a work bench

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back