Plug Socket recess too deep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I tried to chisel out a recess in the brick work in my house so that I could put a metal case in order to put in a plug socket with a flush plate. I ended up digging it too deep so the metal casing is too shallow.

What can I do to resolve it? Any suggestions would be great.

The only thing that I can think of is getting a 35mm metal flush casing, instead of the 25 mm one i've got. Only problem there is that it's just been plastered, so don't want to muck up the plaster as I suspect I'll have to dig out more brick work.

Thanks

Northern Butters

Sponsored Links
clean and moisten the hole, mix up some sand and cement, pack the socket box in with that. It does no harm to have a deep box as long as it is surrounded with flameproof material. You can get some 50mm faceplate screws easily enough.

btw a 25mm box is inconveniently small and tight to wire in. 35mm is much better.

clean and moisten the hole, mix up some sand and cement, pack the socket box in with that. It does no harm to have a deep box as long as it is surrounded with flameproof material. You can get some 50mm faceplate screws easily enough.

btw a 25mm box is inconveniently small and tight to wire in. 35mm is much better.

After moistening etc, my thought was would some Bonding not suffice?
BG datasheet says Bonding does have good fire resistance.
Not sure if it's as much as sand/cement, but perhaps easier to work with setting the box.
Always interested in exploring possibilities :D

I would agree with the 35mm deeper boxes easier also.

Sponsored Links
sand and cement sets slower so is easier to work with and pack round the socket. It is also far stronger and better at holding the socket in place, and cracks less.

Gypsum plaster has a particular advantage in fire-proofing as it absorbs heat and releases the water that made it set. it is used in some fire-safes , and around steelwork, for that reason. As it releases the water it turns to dry powder again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back