Sparkies how deep do i set backbox?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wall has been taken my solid walls back to brick

It will be lime plastered in a few weeks

I'm currently fitting 35mm metal backbox

Considering it will be plastered in future, how deep should i set the backbox into the brickwork?

Or should i still aim for a flush finish?

Sponsored Links
The front edge of the box should be flush with the finished wall surface, so it depends on the thickness of whatever is going onto the wall.

The front edge of the box should be flush with the finished wall surface, so it depends on the thickness of whatever is going onto the wall.
Is there no room for error with this?

I set some other backboxes about 10mm deeper than the edge of the plaster wall finish. Can you not compensate for this with longer 3.5 screws?

Usually traditional plaster over brickwork is around 12-13 mm, so generally you want the box to stick out no more than that.

There may be exceptions though, where the brickwork is out of true, or there are door linings governing how thick the plaster should be.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes don't worry if the boxes are up to 10mm too deep or so, longer screws will fix that.

The plasterer will thank you for setting the box edge to be at finished plaster level. You will get a cleaner finish of the hole too, especially with lime plaster.

The plasterer will thank you for setting the box edge to be at finished plaster level. You will get a cleaner finish of the hole too, especially with lime plaster.
Thanks

I'll aim to set the box 22mm into the brickwork

Hopefully this puts me on the plasterers good side :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back