Plug socket sparking when I power on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bedroom has a normal domestic UK 2 plug electrical socket. One of the sockets I have an extension cable plugged into which I reguarly power ON/OFF. When Off, but the plug still in the socket, I press the power button and a small blue spark can be seen flashing from behind the button that my finger is on. I'm a bit concerned about this, as the spark is close to where I'm making contact and worried it might shock me.

What could be causing this? What would be the best way to fix this?

Many thanks,

James.

Sponsored Links
I guess its quite dark in that corner and the spark is INSIDE the socket itself, Near the switch?

What is plugged into that exttension lead?
If there is any sort of a load then you will get a spark. The bigger the load, the bigger the spark.

Sponsored Links
I guess its quite dark in that corner and the spark is INSIDE the socket itself, Near the switch?

What is plugged into that exttension lead?
If there is any sort of a load then you will get a spark. The bigger the load, the bigger the spark.

Yes it is in a dark corner of the room. A TV/freeview box/hair dryer are plugged into the extension lead. The TV turns itself ON when I press the On switch on the plug socket, perhpas that is the load causing the spark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back