plugging in a boiler in a kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
why is it that even if you plug in a combi after fitting you have to be part p qualified. Does this now mean that anyone who plugs in a fridge freezer or a kettle for instance has to go on a part p scheme and register before they are aloud to plug in an appliance at home

Sponsored Links
Why would you only be "plugging" in a combi as it is a FIXED appliance so should be hard wired with a fused spur unlike a kettle or fridge etc

Its quite a good idea to hardwire a fridge so it does not inadvertently get switched off.

Tony

Agile said:
Its quite a good idea to hardwire a fridge so it does not inadvertently get switched off.

Tony

Is yours hard wired Tony.

Lets be honest here. NOBODY does it

Sponsored Links
It is now custom and practice to make sure that all downstairs sockets are rcd protected. This creates a problem in kitchens where for example in particular kettles and the many appliances like wash machiones dishwashers microwaves which have suppressor circuitry to meet stringent emf rules draw earth current. Consequently sometimes reaching sufficient to trip the rcd.

One answer is to make such appliances fixed.

The kettle is the biggest problem.

It has been mooted to not protect the appliance sockets which are usually obvious for use of that appliance, but the problem with that is that someone else may not want for example a dishwasher and then the socket would very likely be used for mowing the lawn.

Another option though expensive is the use of a few radials for the kitchen on rcbo's splkiting the circuits such that combined leakage isn't sufficient to nuisance trip.

ps fixed applainces don't require rcd protection and disconnection time is less stringent at 5 seconds. This is because you cannot plug in hand held equipment, wherein the dangers lurk.

You can plug a boiler in to an unswitched socket imho if the manufacturer has fitted a plug. You cannot fit the plug if it is for use in a kitchen.

agile so is your fridge hard wired in with no switch ? what happens if you want to change a bulb in the fridge ? uyou have to get a sparky in to disconnect it remember part p. if u have a switched fused spur you still could turn it off by accident . and rcd on freezer fridge no thanks . regs have gone mad

I was told on a boiler elecrtical fault finding course that it was always better to 3 amp plug a combi boiler then it is easier to check the earth leakage etc before taking the case off (Thanks Mr Combi). It was also said that switched spurs can also become faulty. (Not so sure about this one) is this not right?

suffolklad said:
.......... and rcd on freezer fridge no thanks . regs have gone mad

Regs have definitely gone mad, but rcds on anything with a motor can be useful where a fault might otherwise cause a fire.

Paul Barker said:
........... You cannot fit the plug if it is for use in a kitchen.

It's all confusion, I asked BC if i need to notify changing a circulating pump, they said they weren't interested. Changing a boiler is disconnecting one component and reconnecting a replacement unit. Just like a pump. I know they have to be notified for a boiler, but if I change a heatexchanger, they don't and if I change a burner they don't. Since the boiler consists of a burner and a heatexchanger, why do they have to be notified about the white case?

Becasue it's all B0110cks

It says in the latest bit of toilet paper from corgi (the 6 page supplement bit) that if a boiler is installed in a kitchen an plugged into a normal socket outlet, it doesn't have to be part P notified.

Oilman..
I quite agree. White cases as by far the most dangerous component and we should keep a track on where they are put.
Stuart

i was told when i went on a combi course a couple of years ago that they like you to put a 3 pin plug on a combi so that you can postivly isolate it. instead of switching a switch off and could be wired wrong wat round etc and live is still live if not a double pole switch.

A combi boiler is classed like you say as an appliance so a plug is sufficent i was told. Also i think it is better if they are plugged in as then i can plug my socket tester in to see if the eletrics are ok before i even look at the boiler.

I havn't got part P and to be honest i am so confused by what you can and can't do I just get on with my job. I still change pumps , zone valves and other simular electrical componets but i just don't know if i am breaking the law or not as 1 person tells me yes you can and the other no you can't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back