Plumbed water filters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Colleagues

I have just bought a freezer with a built-in ice dispenser. As this does not have any water filter built-in I want to add an external under-sink type filter to go between the mains supply and the freezer. I have decided to use the 10" canister type filters, rather than the in-line sort or one of the manufacturer specific ones, because I can then choose from a wide range of different cartridges from different suppliers. As I am putting one in the utility room for the freezer then I thought about adding one in the kitchen to replace the Brita jug filter at the same time. I can use different cartridges for each.

I was planning on using a GAC filter with some water softening capability to start with in the kitchen and a GAC filter for the freezer perhaps one with silver in it. Anyway; I need some advice.

I know many of these devices are sold as kits with a device that penetrates the standard copper pipe as a way of tapping onto the water supply. Are these a good idea? If I do not go this route but use normal plumbing fittings then what sort of fittings do I need to get the water from my 15mm cold water pipes to the filter? Do I need shut-off valves to isolate the filter spurs? Do these filter canister housings tend to have US-style fittings rather than UK ones? If so what do I do to connect into my plumbing?

Any advice really welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back