water filters - need a plumbers input/advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
here's the deal, i have a 100L aquarium that needs to have 30L replaced weekly. i have recently moved house and the water supply in my new house is too hard for my needs. i used to filter the water by hand using the biggest brita jug available and a lot of patience, but now i find i have to filter the water twice or even three times to get it suitably soft.

i have read about tap filters and reverse osmosis units but i feel they are overkill for my situation and also out of my price range.

what i need is some way of knocking together a unit that can hold three or four filter cartridges in-line and connect to a standard shower fitting. it would also be desirable to be able to replace the cartridges or at least shuffle them along ie one in out (as the water goes through each filter it requires less filtration so unit degradation is not equal).

can any plumbers or diynot'ers help? i have a small budget (approx £50) and would need the parts to come from the high street or mail order.

for reference a cartridge is approx 55mm wide.

cheers! (alternative solutions welcome too!)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the quick reply.

that £45 ro unit would be good, but how much do those things cost to install? i'm really not confident about messing about with the plumbing myself, plus this is a rented house so i'd need permission etc.

what i'm thinking is putting each cartridge into a snug-fitting piece of pipe and connecting them together with something flexible and water-tight ie garden hose... is this possible?

Install them yourself with the fitting kit if you like. there is a self cutting tap you use on a cold main, mine's under the sink. I put a non return valve in mine just so I could shut it off easier. Expect 70% of your mains water to go straight down the drain though as its filtered out so fairly pricey on a meter, plus with a 50 gallon per day expect no more than 35 in summer and 10 in winter!. I have no experience with the other stuff.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back