Plumber wanted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The response to my recent post on how to fit a loo to a cast-iron soil pipe that had been "caulked" with lead drew the suggestion that "This is not a DIY task and you should get someone in".

I am happy to accept this advice.

Next question. Is there someone reading this forum who would do this for me.

I live in Stockport, Gtr Manchester.

Please either reply to this message or email me at Moderator, please read Forum rules 7 ;)
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I`ve still got my caulking irons, but I`m down South :rolleyes:

It comes OUT easily enough, assuming you can cut/break the male bit of pipe, and there are modern goo's for the sealing job on CI if you're replacing with CI. Any CI pipe supplier will sell you some, though it's remarkably expensive.

If you're just putting a plastic loo fitting into a CI female, then you just use the fitting... See Multiqwik, Pan Connector, etc

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris.

I don't think I've explained this completely....

The CI soil stack has a T which juts out at a slight upward angle (I would guess 15 degrees). This goes a couple of inches to a CI collar which is horizonal to the gound.. The collar is symetrical with an outer bulge (to about 6") at each end and a mid-point diameter of about 5". The collar is about 3" long.

There is the remains of a lead pipe (outer diameter about 3.5") which goes into the inside of the CI collar. The lead pipe has itself been caulked into the CI collar (so there's quite a bit of lead involved here).

One option is to "cut and run" with the existing lead pipe, which would leave a hole of 3" or-so in which to insert and seal a new waste pipe. I'm worried that it's too narrow given that the 3" is an outer diameter.

I could be cheeky and email a picture?
Moderator, Yes you can, read here to help you ;)

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back