Plumbers = dexterous genii

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They are amazing!

I wasted about 6m of ptfe tape trying to put some on the bottom of two taps I just plumbed in!

had to wrap my arms around the pedestal, put them in the void designed for mice and spiders only (oh, and fiddly tap nuts) - all without seeing what I am doing - just to wrap 2-3 layers of tape around a zig-zaggy piece of metal!

Kudos to the guy that put it on before me!

Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
You are correct, we are amazing, but you have bodged this job right up by the sounds of it.

Sponsored Links
errr.. making sure it doesn't drip??

Please don't tell me the 6m of tape was wasted unnecessarily :confused:

On the plus side... they don't drip!

Drip from where exactly? Washers are standard fitment between tap and sink/basin/bath to prevent any water leaking between tap base and said sanitary appliance, and washers are also used with tap connectors to effect a seal on the joint between tap connector and tap on the supplies!

At least PTFE is cheap as chips, so maybe not an altogether expensive mistake..... ;)

Thats the thing you see - there was no drip. Just thought it helped make sure joins are sealed!

To be honest it is a botch job - replaced some sealed up, leaky cartridge taps with 99p proper tap washer ebay taps until we've finished the rest of the house and make a start on the bathroom.

If it's no harm done - i'll leave it in place.

P.s. This ptfe was relatively expensive - also 99p so same price as taps :mrgreen:

Happy friday everyone!

In defence of Whitling, I have found over the years combinations of Compression nuts&olives straight on to tap threads, compression/capillary tap connectors with fibre washers that just will not stop pishing water out (tip remove ALL traces of fibre washers first using stanley blade/screwdriver/wire brush or wire-wool etc and get some 'neoprene' washers like the hep2o/speedfit tap cnnns)
Cheap'n'nasty flexi's with some cucumber substitute sort of flat washer etc etc

DH

Was the PTFE instead of fibre washers? Have seen this done before. Also as Dreadnought says, sometimes olives and comression nuts instead of tap connectors. Seems to work though.

Often tap connectors can be a problem if they don't line up precisely, a tiny angle where they meet can cause problems (the worst ones are plastic toilet connections) so a bit of PTFE or Fernox LSX can be a reasonable precaution, as long as there is a washer in place too.
Anyway well done! As a pipefitter you often need triple jointed fingers and the ability to see round corners :D Next skill you need to master is holding a tap on the far side of the bath straight from the top with one hand, while reaching under the bath to tighten the backnut with the other ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back