Need help fixing leaky radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
(Apologies, my plumbing skills/terminology need much improvement)

I recently found a leak on the joint of a TRV valve coming from one of my radiators, it seemed to be where the pipe enters the valve (see image and imagine the silver pieces of the valve are bone dry).

I had someone round who tightened the nut and the drip stopped, but it appears to have started again after being "knocked" slightly and was even worse. I did some reading and was going to attempt to "patch" it up with some ptfe tape around the olive (sorry) but upon draining the system it sppeared to be some kind of convertor, like 2 halfs of a donut?

This looks like its converting the 10mm pipe into the 15mm valve...i took the top half of the convertor off and wrapped it in some tape and reconnected it all...the leak is a lot smaller, but still drips every 20 seconds or so.

My question is how do i repair this permenantly? I've seen some reports of push fit elbows working (where i'd cut the pipe back and replace with this). I've seen other reports of a better reducing kit. but im at a loss this close to christmas without any decent plumbers able to come out and a leak i need fixing.

Can anyone help? Would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20171221_192937.jpg
    IMG_20171221_192937.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 295
Sponsored Links
You need to drain down , and examine the condition of the 10 mm copper tube in the area that the compression reducer has been .if the copper has not been deformed by over tightening ,it should be a straightforward job to fit a new reducing set , ( such as screwfix code 70435). If the copper tube is deformed , then soldering on an end feed fitting reducer would be the next option.

You need to drain down , and examine the condition of the 10 mm copper tube in the area that the compression reducer has been .if the copper has not been deformed by over tightening ,it should be a straightforward job to fit a new reducing set , ( such as screwfix code 70435). If the copper tube is deformed , then soldering on an end feed fitting reducer would be the next option.

Thanks for your reply. How do i get the reducer off the old pipe? should it just pull off?

If its been overtightened ,it may be quite difficult to remove. May need to carefully cut it off with hacksaw ,but could try twisting left a bit / right a bit ,whilst pulling upward ,with it held firmly in a pair if grips ,before using a hacksaw. If you can post a pic before you start would enable better advice to be offered.there are a few different types and if don't know exactly which you have ,may be misleading you. What area are you in ?

Sponsored Links
If its been overtightened ,it may be quite difficult to remove. May need to carefully cut it off with hacksaw ,but could try twisting left a bit / right a bit ,whilst pulling upward ,with it held firmly in a pair if grips ,before using a hacksaw. If you can post a pic before you start would enable better advice to be offered.there are a few different types and if don't know exactly which you have ,may be misleading you. What area are you in ?
Liverpool area. Leak is very infrequent now so I'll leave a tub under it for now as it's Christmas. Will take your advice on the new year though thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back