Plumber's workmanship liability period

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...one of my basin isolation valves (ball lever type) came loose 2 days ago, which flooded my flat and the one below. The bathroom was installed 2 years ago.

My question is whether that plumber is liable for this flooding?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Can you prove it was due to his negligence? If yes*, then your claim is in time. Surely it’s better to go through your home insurance and leave any claim down to them?

* there is probably 5 pages of debate as to how unlikely that will be.

Hi...one of my basin isolation valves (ball lever type) came loose 2 days ago, which flooded my flat and the one below. The bathroom was installed 2 years ago.

My question is whether that plumber is liable for this flooding?

Many thanks in advance.
Possibly, but proving it will be next to impossible.

I suggest you claim against your home insurance.

Were you able to tighten it and stop the leak or did somebody else?
Was it on a plastic pipe, copper pipe or a braided flexi?
Was the tap moving slightly when using it?
Has any other work been done in the room in the last 2 years?

Sponsored Links
The initial problem was that I noticed water leaking down the hot water copper pipe to the basin. So I tried to shut off the supply by this valve. Then a few minutes later I noticed water flooding the bathroom floor. I then turned off the water at the stopcock under the kitchen sink...not before it flooded to the flat below. On inspecting the problem, it appears that this ball valve came apart ..not on the pipe joints.

No work was done to the bathroom since it was installed 2 years ago.

The initial problem was that I noticed water leaking down the hot water copper pipe to the basin. So I tried to shut off the supply by this valve. Then a few minutes later I noticed water flooding the bathroom floor. I then turned off the water at the stopcock under the kitchen sink...not before it flooded to the flat below. On inspecting the problem, it appears that this ball valve came apart ..not on the pipe joints.

No work was done to the bathroom since it was installed 2 years ago.
The valve came apart rather than a joint? Never heard of that one tbh.

If the valve itself has come apart, it's not a workmanship issue. Take it up with the valve manufacturer, although if it's a day over two years the valve is almost certainly out of warranty, in which case your house insurance is who you need to contact

The valve came apart rather than a joint? Never heard of that one tbh.
Service valves and full-bore type valves are made in two parts which are screwed together in the factory. If they haven't been correctly secured during manufacture, the two halves can come adrift.

Thanks for everybody's input...will let my insurer's deal with this and see if I can claim any expenses from the plumber.

Be nice to him and he might replace the valve for you free of charge as a gesture of goodwill. Don't expect anything more than that though, it's very much not his problem

Thanks Muggles....

On looking at the valve...should it not have been fitted with the Ball lever half being fitted on the supply side. So when it did come apart, at least the supply side would still be shut off?

If it has a flow direction arrow printed on it then that should be observed, if there's no arrow then it can go either way up

Thanks for everybody's input...will let my insurer's deal with this and see if I can claim any expenses from the plumber.
If you let your insurer deal with it and pay for the repairs then you should also let the insurer deal with any claim against the plumber. Any monies you get back from the plumber should go back to your insurer.

Yep - let your insurance take over the claim. Don't start doing deals else they might tell you that you have breached your policy by frustrating their ability recover damages.

depending on your set-up turning the hot taps on in the bath/kitchen is often a good way to get rid of the water in the system if its flooding you.

Service valves and full-bore type valves are made in two parts which are screwed together in the factory. If they haven't been correctly secured during manufacture, the two halves can come adrift.
You ever seen one come apart after 2yrs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back