Advice on toilet fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately we only have one toilet, so my partner has vetoed my idea of getting a large mallet and smashing it to pieces. So it seems that we will need to try and fix it AGAIN.

The current plan is to purchase a complete set of new pipes and cistern so we know everything fits and should be sound. The actual basin is in perfect condition so technically doesn't need replacing. My question is, does anyone know if the hole where the pipe from the cistern goes into the basin the same size in all basins? The basin we currently have is about 8 years old. The type of toilet we'll be getting is one in a vanity unit, not an all-in-one, so the hole is just above the waste pipe hole.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

[Background: Originally paid someone to install toilet, who bodged the job and its not been right since. Been trying to fix it ourselves with the damaged parts for years. Just paid someone professionally to put it right a few weeks ago, and it worked....but then just fell apart and flooded the bathroom a couple of days ago.]

Sponsored Links
Sorry ,don't follow !! The part of the WC that you sit on is the PAN. Are you thinking of keeping your existing pan ,that currently is fitted against a cabinet, and are just replacing the cistern and some pipework to the cistern ??

you might consider posting some photos.

You can copy-and-paste them into your reply.

Terryplumb yes, I meant pan, I must be half asleep. I'm changing everything except the pan and the wood of the vanity unit. It's normally where the pipe attaches to the pan where it leaks. (The first guy cut the pipe slightly too short, hence the huge amount of problems we had after that.) So I just wondered if the size of hole for the pipe in the pan was standard.

Sponsored Links
The pipe that joins cistern to pan is called the flush pipe. The hole in the pan is a standard size to accept a rubber seal ,called a flush cone. The flush pipes however come in different forms ,and always have to be cut to fit installation conditions. The end of the flush pipe that goes into the pan is always the same ,but the other end that fits into the flush valve ( at the cistern)is the variable bit as the flush valves come in two sizes.
So ,in a nut shell ,match the flush valve to flush pipe ,and fit to pan with a NEW rubber flush cone.

It's normally where the pipe attaches to the pan where it leaks.

If that's the case then it isn't really a cistern problem. Bit drastic changing the cistern if it is the flush pipe to pan connection that is leaking.

You could fit a new flush pipe, to match existing, and pan connection.

If the flush pipe is only leaking at the flush cone end due to being too short and the pipe is out of sight within the cabinet then cut the pipe and using a new flush cone and a straight compression coupler with a short length of new pipe will sort it out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back