Plumbing a new bathroom suite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
My new bathroom suite is arriving tomorrow :)
My existing suite is the original and is 55 years old.
Im Ok with plumbing but ive never plumbed a toilet.
The waste pipe in my current loo is about 4 inches in diameter,is 6 inches high where it intercepts my current loo,and is nine inches long(ie it is nine inches from the wall)...is this still a standard size?
Also...what is used a seal on the waste pipe??..

Current waste pipe is cast iron i think and comes through the wall straight to the loo.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
i doubt anything will line up, personally what i used to do is remove the soil an vent and replace in nice new plastic , if it is cast it could well be lead that you have coming through the wall, new stack does not take long to fit, trick is to gently drill out the putty or cement from round the joint at the bottom, if your not carefull you could break the colar

Cheers for that,
When you ssay "stack"...i take it you are talking about the pipe that runs all the way down the outside of my house??..yikes!!
Id like to keep it as it itself is a feature and it goes straight down into a pathway....is this where the collar should be??
Thanks,
Marty.

HI

If it is possible replace the soil pipe with plastic pipe otherwise there are many different types of pan connectors available to connect loo to the old pipe :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cheers Lunat,
Have just gotten the suite now and it looks great(in the shed!!!)
Anyways i am going to swap the bath and sink drains to plastic as they just go outside and go into a funnell type arrangement.
However the soil pipe I really want to hold onto.
I have just measured it up and the soil pipe only comes thru the wall by 9" and i need it to come through ~ 12" so im gonna need to get something.
The diameter of the old pipe is about 4.5 inches and the new one is 4.0 inches so im gonna have to put in some sort of reducer.
Hopefully i can get one thats short enough.

Also my drains from sink and bath are ~1.5" metal...can i get kit that will connect to these??
Cheers,
Marty.

as you been told by LUNAT you can get plenty of different types of pan connector and extension peices, I think you need to arm yourself with a few and then take the toilet out. Obvioulsy you will be pushed to get the job finnished so best not done when plumbers merchants will be shut, i would for get BnQ etc and go to a decent plumbers merchants with plenty of stock. Your other wastes can just be cut out and replaced in plastic down to the hopper for what little extra it costs. Little trick take the basin out and put the toilet next to it then experiment with pan connectors before commiting yourself to a looless! house!! Personally i would replace the soil stack, it's not a hard job and it is not that expensive to do either, then you can set it all up to suit your new toilet, do the job right first time and have years of leak free toilet flushing!!! :D

martyc
because there is only a 3 inch difference there is nothing in pan connector range to suit your requirements
you should get a pollypipe panconnector long type which can be adjusted in length then cut existing cast to correct length
hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back