Plumbing in new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post - I need a bit of help so here goes
I am about to plumb in a new bathroom for my daughter in law who has asked me to do it as she cannot afford a pro. I have done a fair bit of plumbing on a diy basis but all with "modern" systems.
The bathroom we are removing is old and worn out big time - my query (well first anyway) is about the toilet. It is connected to a cast iron waste and appears to be wrapped in something that feels a bit sticky to the touch, its been there a long time. The new toilet has a standard 4inch pan connector. My question is how do I connect it to the cast iron pipe. I have a plumbworld standard connector with ridged rubber fins which are meant to go inside the waste pipe. The inside diameter of the bit that goes inside the waste pipe is 31/2 inches. I cannot measure the inside diameter of the cast iron pipe until I take out the toilet so I dont know whether this is going to fit. Is there any way I can tell whether this is going to fit ahead of removing the toilet. Any help or general guidance most welcome.

Sponsored Links
ok thanks for that 2 questions
what is the appropriate adapter
would you use an angle grinder to cut the pipe back

+ 1
Gloves, mask, grinder and metal disk

Cut back the cast square, de- bur and the fins should fit inside the cast

Jobs a gooden

Sponsored Links
Which adaptor would depend on the height of the existing to the height of your new toilet with floor covering allowance

When you offer the new pan up, what you need will be clear, and the merchants will be able to offer you advice as well

If tiling, set the toilet on some loose tiles to get the height and to use until ready to tile the floor.

Tile the floor and then set the toilet on top, better finish than tiling around the pan and easier

i will do just that thank you
perhaps i could ask one other question

i have peered under the bath and the waste connects to a cast iron pipe is there any wrinkles i need to beware of when installing the new bath.

mike would,nt this be an oppertunity to get rid of the bath waste all the way and replace with plastic,god knows what the inside of the cast pipe is like,
unless it connects into the cast soil pipe outside, doubt it though

you would replace the trap anyway with the new bath and then replace the existing pipe, with 40mm (inch and half) plastic all the way through the wall, probably use the existing hole when you remove the cast pipe, and into the drain outside.it would be cleaner and the waste water flowing through new pipework would be better.
you will connect a new trap to the bath waste and at some point connect that trap to a waste pipe,if you dont remove the cast pipe, how do you intend joining on to it

my intention was to use a connector pushed into the cast iron pipe and then connect plastic from the waste to it.
this however is food for thought i need to recce the layout oitside the bathroom (its a downstairs bathroom) and see whether the coneection is accessible. thank you for your help i will post back as soon as i have had a look at it

If the house has cast waste pipes it's probably old enough to have a combined drainage system. This means that the rain water from the gutters & the foul water from toilets & sinks go down the same drain. A separate system keeps the fresh rain water separate from the foul.

If a combined system you may find that the water from the bath & hand basin run to a gully, probably the same gully that the down pipe from the roof gutters runs into

As terence7556 advised you would be better off replacing the bath & basin waste with new plastic pipes while you are doing the refit.

Cheers.

If you are turning this into a project thread (nowt wrong with that); then it will be helpful to post some pictures of the lay of the land - in side and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back