Plumbing common? problems? (is it me).....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've lived in 4 homes in the past 5 years, and had similar problems in all of them. Toilet overflowing, same with tank in 2 of the homes, toilet not flushing properley, in all of them, taps dripping more than once and seizing up a bit, and motorised valve problems in 3!!

Are these common to many people or is it just me?

Are there any other things that are quite common that I could look out for.

I've had other things like leaks, thermocouple? and a programmer went faulty and was replaced, and a few other bits, and all have been fixed by plumbers all ok.

Just wondered after discovering this great forum

Sponsored Links
They are common problems but for you to have had them all seems like a bit of bad luck.

not had them all in same homes, except for toilet ones!! any other common ones I shoujld expect from time to time, as I'm hoping to NOT move again now !!!!!

Common faults the list can be endless depending on what type of heating system and age of system you have.

Sponsored Links
Rather than complaining about common problems you should think you are lucky never to have had a blocked toilet.

They are a right pain and usually caused by kids with toys or women under 45.

I have a system with tank in loft,smaller than big tank that feeds hot water tank and bathroom cold taps, motorised valve, thermostat on wall in living room, and programmer in downstairs cupboard on wall. Boiler has pilot light, and from manual left by it, says Potterton. Also have 7 radiators, hot water tank in airing cupboard!!

Agile I have had a blocked toilet!! I have a good power plunger that shifted them !

OK, but how was I to know that when you did not list it?

Those are all common problems.

Just as running out of petrol and having a puncture are the most common motoring problems now. ( apart from speed traps! )

Tony

Sorry Agile. Thanks for your help though.

What sort of problems should I be aware of with my heating system? I have heard that when winter comes (or autumn) and the heating goes ON again, thaere can be some problems sometimes?

I just want to be prepared and have an idea. I always use a plumber to fix and sort out my mess though. Am being nosey i suppose!

i forgot to add I have a pump on the heating, a red one, just before motorised valve and hot tank

A professional will encounter very unusual situations from time to time.

Like the ( dead ) mouse blocking the cold water supply from the loft tank to the bathroom. That was not me but an engineer I sent to a customer.

Or the ( dead and very bloated ) squirel in the cold water tank!

Most customers only encounter common problems like the ones you have listed.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back