Plumbing for a washing machine and sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all, first post - I hope it's ok, sorry if it's obvious, but my knowledge of plumbing and drains is limited.

I recently moved house and one of the more interesting features of my new home is that there is a large black pipe sticking out of the concrete floor in back of the garage, just past where an extension to the garage has been made. It looks like a pipe which would connect to guttering that would have been used to drain the roof about the garage.

Assuming that I can get cold water (at the least) to this part of the house, would I be OK to use this to take the water away from a washing machine and sink?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert either, but if it was an 'active' waste pipe, I would expect some smell to be backing up from it (which I pressume it isn't?) to indicate it leading to the sewers.

If it was used for guttering it may have a u-bend which should be holding water (again keeping smell away) which would be able to hear if you poured a bit of water down.

If not, this would indicate that it has somehow been blocked to me. Or maybe some kind of soakaway pipe?

Chris

Maybe best if you get a copy of the plans for the extension, which will show the drainage modifications, if its sticking out from the concrete base it may be its redundant (not connected to the drains) so using it would cause problems

Only can be used if connected to the foul sewer. If it goes to a storm drain or soakaway then its a big NO im afraid.

Storm sewer takes rainwater from roof, driveway, any paved area, can discharge to nearest watercourse. Foul takes water from toilets, baths, sinks etc and goes to sewage works for treatment. Lift a manhole cover, get someone to flush toilet. If water arrives (or can be heard) then you've the foul. Run hose down pipe in garage, if you can see or hear it then garage is likely connected to storm drains.

Sponsored Links
As Hugh Jaleak; Building Regs. do not allow you to discharge foul water into a surface water drain if that's what it is, you need to check. There is a chance it feeds an old soak away but, again, even if it’s still functional, you can’t discharge foul water into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back