Plumbing Gadgets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have just removed my radiator and want to move the pipes up the wall to fit a new towel warmer. I intend to use some soldered capillary fittings and rather than use a blow torch to heat them up, I have read in a DIY manual that electric tongs are available that clamp round the fitting, heat it up, and thats it. What are these called and where can I buy one from ? The other thing I want to buy is a pipe cutter for cutting pipes in difficult places (not much room). What is the best gadget to buy ? Can I buy electrical pipe cutters ?

Sponsored Links
Natasha said:
Can I buy electrical pipe cutters ?
electricians use a hacksaw to cut pipes (conduit) you want
p1032956_l.jpg
any diy shed will have them

the "tongs" to which you refer are not ideal, and you have to have the pipe almost empty (i think)

But you will have to drain the system to cut the pipe off, so you may as well use a blow torch

you may also want to consider push fit fittings too

Natasha said:
... I have read in a DIY manual that electric tongs are available that clamp round the fitting, heat it up, and thats it. What are these called and where can I buy one from ? ...
Pipemaster - made by Antex:
pipemaster2.jpg

They're available from HERE (code YP01B) and a number of other online suppliers (enter Pipemaster into your preferred search engine).

You should invest in a hacksaw to cut pipe as well. The pipe-cutter breezer shows is the type that will cut in the smallest space, but even so they are too big to get between most pipes and the wall (in my flat, anyway!).

But for cutting pipe with plenty of room, nothing beats a pipe-cutter. They are a dream to use (usually)

Sponsored Links
The pipemaster looks good. Whats the dissadvantage of using this gadget. It seems safer and easier to me ?

as i said the "tongs" to which you refer are not ideal, and you have to have the pipe almost empty (i think)

But you will have to drain the system to cut the pipe off, so you may as well use a blow torch

you may also want to consider push fit fittings too

my point is that as you will have to drain the system to cut the pipe, save money and use blow lamp you already have

My experiences with the Antex pipemaster have not been good. I used it a few times, but on most jobs I had to go back and use a blow torch to remake the joints. It seems fine on very short lengths of pipe (less then 500mm) but anything more and it cant seem to genereate enough heat quick enough to make a sound joint. Nice idea, especially in the loft etc where there is isk of fire, just didn't work for me.

I've got a set going dusty for exactly the reasons nstreet gives. You CAN buy electric heating things with heavy cables for a couple of hundred quid, and they do work well.

If you really don't want to use a blowlamp then use compression fittings(chrome ones if you llike). But ordinary solder-ring fittings are quite easy to use - or as wisely said above, use push-fit.

Many Thanks. With these reviews i have decided to use a blow torch and forget the expensive pipemaster. One last thing, I am moving the pipes for the upstairs radiator to fix a wall towel rail, using wall values rather than the existing floor values. Therefore, I will need to drain the system. Even though I am changing the upstairs radiator, will I need to drain the system from downstairs ? One of these downstairs radiators seems to have a drain point with a square screw inside it (between the valve and the radiator). I presume I undo the square screw and quickly bung a hose pipe into it ?

'One of these downstairs radiators seems to have a drain point with a square screw inside it (between the valve and the radiator). I presume I undo the square screw and quickly bung a hose pipe into it ?'

If it one of the latest type of valve with drain valve part of actual valve and the square screw INSIDE hose attatchment then close both rad valves, remove the square screw with vent key, fit hose and then open rad valve to start the draining process.

Alan

Thanks AlanE. Actually the same sort of valve exists on 2 down stairs radiator. Should I do the same on both or just use one ? I have taken the radiator off upstairs and all went OK. No problems at all. Alas, the low pressure light on the combi boiler started blinking. I noticed that the pressure had dropped to just above 0, so I turned the inlet value and the pressure went up to 2. It has stayed their for 1 day and everything seem fine (hot water is good). But the light is still flashing. Any ideas why it continues to flash ?

should imagine the boiler has gone to lockout, switch it off and on again or however described in the instructions.

sorry didn't notice hot water was ok...reset anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back