plumbing/gas courses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
need some good advice please,im wanting to retrain as either a plumber or gas engineer,there is a choice of 2 courses i can do at met-uk both about 9 weeks and get decent qualifications,its a big decision as to which route to go down,both courses are about 4 grand.any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You don't say how old you are?

You could try the local college. Its probably cheaper, but it'll take longer. You'd need to get work placements but providing you get one with a good company it can be worth more in terms of learning than any academic course will give you.

Getting onto a college Gas course is difficult especially if you've never done anything like this before but hey, I'm not saying you couldn't do it. As you have found, the other route is to pay a private training provider.

One thing though, Gas Fitting isn't a path to untold riches! Its Difficult, Its Dirty, Its Frustrating, Its watched over by a Monopoly which you have to be registered with! and pay them for the privilige :confused: and its expensive to remain registered. If you can stand all that, it can also be Interesting and Varied work :D

I think this myth of earnings needs to be understood.

A large number of ACS qualified people work for BG for about £22k to £28k and thats usually after 2-3 years training.

Expect £15k-£20k when you are starting IF you are any good until you have had considerable experience!

Tony

Sponsored Links
sorry,i'm 34,just fancied a change,the company ive seen offer a 2 month work placement on completion of the gas course,yeh i know its dirty and hard work but so am i!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back