Plumbing help sought (disconnecting old fridge freezer)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I'm trying to disconnect an old fridge freezer which is plumbed in through a 6mm copper pipe, which is connected to a valve...a very old valve. The Valve wont close completely, leaving a drip. I'm trying to find something i can screw in place of the copper pipe to stop the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not confident enough to try and get rid of the valve completely on my own, so some type of stopper that I can screw on would be ideal until we get the kitchen renovated.

Regards Sean
IMG20220404194913.jpg

Sponsored Links
With old obscure fittings like that then the old school approach can sometime be the best. Are you using the copper pipe that's been disconnected? If not cut the pipe say 100mm odds long then fold over 20mm of the end and hammer it totally flat and then do it again working your way up towards the nut. By the time you get to the nut the copper should be folded enough times to seal the end, then put it back on the tap and do it up.

Ideally, you would solder the end then flatten it.

With old obscure fittings like that then the old school approach can sometime be the best. Are you using the copper pipe that's been disconnected? If not cut the pipe say 100mm odds long then fold over 20mm of the end and hammer it totally flat and then do it again working your way up towards the nut. By the time you get to the nut the copper should be folded enough times to seal the end, then put it back on the tap and do it up.

Ideally, you would solder the end then flatten it.

Would Gorilla glue do the trick instead of solder?

There is at least a meter or more of copper pipe to work with, and no i'm not keeping it. We've bought a brand new LG fridge freezer, unplumbed. I'm just looking for a quick fix until we sell our old house, then we will be getting a Kitchen extension and ripping out all the old stuff.

Sponsored Links
Nope

Or as was suggested, if you have the tools, take the reducer/elbow out of the end of the tap and fit one of these with some tape/fibre washer on it -

22863_P
Tools are an issue. I bought a tube of fernox ls-x, and when I finish work I'm going to fold the pipe like a Japanese sword. I'll then cake the end in the leak sealer

Jobs a goodun. Thanks Madrab. Getting my solution from a fellow Scotsman was icing on the cake

Attachments

• IMG20220405183050.jpg
    IMG20220405183050.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG20220405183056.jpg
    IMG20220405183056.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 77
That was an old favourite when coming across a burst bit of lead with no easy isolation, get a large hammer and smack the crap out of it till it was flat and then fold it and keep doing it till it stopped leaking hoping it didn't snap.

Years ago in a 2nd floor tenement flat in Shawlands, 10pm at night, floor ripped up and fractured lead pipe gushing everywhere and a seized toby in the street .... ended up soaked to the skin!! Used part of a the lifted floorboard as a drift and flattened the lead in 2 places, folded and flattened again. Held until we could get SW out the next day to shift the seized toby out in the street. That was a fun night had by all.

Found a flattened Lead service under a concrete slab at a Friends house a few years ago. Would have supplied the original outside WC, must have been leaking for the best part of 20 years. We were digging to put a new drain run in from a new WC to the existing manhole, had to hire a pump such was the amount of water.

That was an old favourite when coming across a burst bit of lead with no easy isolation, get a large hammer and smack the crap out of it till it was flat and then fold it and keep doing it till it stopped leaking hoping it didn't snap.

Years ago in a 2nd floor tenement flat in Shawlands, 10pm at night, floor ripped up and fractured lead pipe gushing everywhere and a seized toby in the street .... ended up soaked to the skin!! Used part of a the lifted floorboard as a drift and flattened the lead in 2 places, folded and flattened again. Held until we could get SW out the next day to shift the seized toby out in the street. That was a fun night had by all.
I remember a night at JJ Booths then taking a burd up to my room in the Newlands hotel, I was soaked too :LOL::LOL::LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back